You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am now missing the option to download photos and videos to my pc when using icloud for windows 10

I used to download photos from the cloud and backup them up on my pc but that function is now missing from my icloud for windows app

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on May 22, 2020 4:47 PM

9 replies

May 23, 2020 3:21 PM in response to Evans_pj

Hello Evans_pj,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

I understand from your post that you have not been able to download your photos from iCloud on your Windows PC. This article has steps on how to locate photos or files on iCloud for Windows which you can then copy to your computer under the heading, "Where can I find photos or files on iCloud for Windows?", which you may find helpful:

Get help using iCloud for Windows - Apple Support

Best Regards.

Aug 8, 2020 11:01 AM in response to BackspinUK

I solved this particular problem today on my PC, it was due to a conflict with OneDrive which was set up to backup all pictures in the user's Pictures folder. It does this by moving the Pictures folder into the OneDrive folder. However the Pictures folder is also where iCloud for Windows puts its own iCloud Photos folder. Seems that having two different cloud services trying to sync the same folder is problematic.

Anyway I went into the OneDrive settings, backup tab, manage back up, and turned off Pictures backup, which moved the Pictures folder back into the regular user profile folder. Then I signed out of iCloud and signed back in again, the sync then started straightaway.

However, this still leaves the problem that I can't work out how to change where iCloud stores photos. I really want to put them on an external drive, but the option seems to be no longer there :-( - see this thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251668351

May 23, 2020 3:57 PM in response to chris_g1

Thanks Chris but I have downloaded iCloud for windows and I can see it in the bottom right of my screen when I click on open iCloud settings and then photo options I only see a check box for iCloud photos and shared albums.

I don’t see iCloud Photo Library, my photo stream, download new photos and videos to my pc, keep high efficiency original if available, upload new photos and videos from my pc and iCloud photo sharing

Jun 1, 2020 9:47 AM in response to MoonJ.

Hi - I think the original post is similar to mine, from yesterday, and several others here. The options available in the latest version of iCloud for Windows (version 11.1 I think) have changed - we no longer have the 'download' and 'upload' features, for example.

Instead there are just 'iCloud Photos' and 'Shared albums').

Apple help pages say that - in this new version - photos will automatically sync with the iCloud Photos folder on your PC. The problem is - they do not! (For many of us, at least).

Is anyone actually *successfully* using the latest iCloud for Windows for syncing photos?

Thanks

Jun 24, 2020 4:28 PM in response to Phrhs1

I found that with installing Office365 that my iCloud Photos folder (in the Pictures folder) moved to the OneDrive folder (assuming you set up OneDrive). Once I moved it back out of the OneDrive folder my photo downloading starting working again. I guess it would have worked if I could have change my iCloud setting to point to the folder under OneDrive, but I can't see how to do that.

Aug 8, 2020 1:42 PM in response to VKeith86

I am having the same problem with iCloud for PC (ver 11.2) on a Win10 PC now working (syncing) as promised. I do have Office 365 installed and will check to see if OneDrive is causing the conflict.

It's frustrating that Apple support hasn't figured this out. I've read several Support articles and none of them are specific about what works and what doesn't work in the latest versions.

I am now missing the option to download photos and videos to my pc when using icloud for windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.