You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remote Screen Sharing Between Two Mac running Catalina

After reading number of articles on the topic, I think I am doing everything right and still can't activate Screen Sharing between my home office MBA and Office Mini. Same Apple ID, two different networks, Screen Sharing and Remote Login is on, no firewall. It could be that my main challenge is when I open the Screen Sharing app on my MBA, it asks me for either a Host Name or Apple ID. Tried to input everything I could find on the Mini, the response is always the same "invalid host name" or the Apple ID is unavailable. Would appreciate some practical help here.

Posted on May 23, 2020 8:51 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 23, 2020 3:50 PM

Hello,

The setup involves installing their application on both Macintosh devices. You would then setup their unattended access. This will give your Mac a unique identifier along with the ability to set your own password. Each TeamViewer sessions are encrypted and about as secure as you can get. You also have the option to use the Mac’s “Screen Curtain” feature which turns off the display of the remote Mac while you are connected to it.

https://www.teamviewer.com/en-us/

I especially like that I am able to connect to my remote computers from any of my devices, such as my Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, etc.. As long as you are just using it on your own computers (rather than as a business connecting to hundreds of customers) you should not have to pay anything.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 23, 2020 3:50 PM in response to otakar1944

Hello,

The setup involves installing their application on both Macintosh devices. You would then setup their unattended access. This will give your Mac a unique identifier along with the ability to set your own password. Each TeamViewer sessions are encrypted and about as secure as you can get. You also have the option to use the Mac’s “Screen Curtain” feature which turns off the display of the remote Mac while you are connected to it.

https://www.teamviewer.com/en-us/

I especially like that I am able to connect to my remote computers from any of my devices, such as my Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, etc.. As long as you are just using it on your own computers (rather than as a business connecting to hundreds of customers) you should not have to pay anything.

May 23, 2020 10:59 AM in response to QuickPost

Many thanks for responding, QuickPost. I looked up the TeamV and that's a pretty expensive app. One piece of information I forgot to share was that we had a OS Server installed on the Mini and I was able to do the Screen Sharing from home then. For various reasons, we uninstalled the Server and use the Mini as a stand alone now. And that's when the Screen Sharing stopped working.

May 23, 2020 3:04 PM in response to QuickPost

My apologies ! I must have looked somewhere else. So far have downloaded on my home MBA and it's giving me ID and password.

Q1 : do i need to download also on my office Mini ?

Q2 : any specific recommendations (especially for safety) ?

Q3 : are there instructions as to how to proceed with the remote connection ? Screen Sharing ?

Thanks again, QuickPost !

Remote Screen Sharing Between Two Mac running Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.