You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder always minimizes

In FINDER, when clicking on, for example, a picture, Is there a way to make finder stay open full screen, so it doesn't minimize to the dock?

Thanks for any advice

Posted on May 23, 2020 6:33 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 25, 2020 11:56 AM

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, MoopaD!

I understand you're having trouble maintaining Finder open while clicking on a file. I'd be happy to provide information on what's happening.

If you have Finder set to full screen, this will continue happening. However, you can maximize the window and maintain Finder open: Manage windows on Mac

"Maximize or minimize windows

On your Mac, do any of the following in a window:

• Maximize a window: Press and hold the Option key while you click the green maximize button  in the top-left corner of an app window. To return to the previous window size, Option-click the button again.
  • You can also double-click an app’s title bar to maximize the window (as long as the option to do so is set to “zoom” in Dock preferences).
  • Minimize a window: Click the yellow minimize button  in the top-left corner of the window, or press Command-M. 
  • You can set an option in Dock preferences to have a window minimize when you double-click its title bar.

Most windows can be manually resized. Drag the window’s edge (top, bottom, or sides) or double-click an edge to expand that side of the window."

I hope this helps.

Have a great day!

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 25, 2020 11:56 AM in response to MoopaD

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, MoopaD!

I understand you're having trouble maintaining Finder open while clicking on a file. I'd be happy to provide information on what's happening.

If you have Finder set to full screen, this will continue happening. However, you can maximize the window and maintain Finder open: Manage windows on Mac

"Maximize or minimize windows

On your Mac, do any of the following in a window:

• Maximize a window: Press and hold the Option key while you click the green maximize button  in the top-left corner of an app window. To return to the previous window size, Option-click the button again.
  • You can also double-click an app’s title bar to maximize the window (as long as the option to do so is set to “zoom” in Dock preferences).
  • Minimize a window: Click the yellow minimize button  in the top-left corner of the window, or press Command-M. 
  • You can set an option in Dock preferences to have a window minimize when you double-click its title bar.

Most windows can be manually resized. Drag the window’s edge (top, bottom, or sides) or double-click an edge to expand that side of the window."

I hope this helps.

Have a great day!

Finder always minimizes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.