You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk not Ejected properly

Suddenly every time my mac goes to sleep, a notification appears saying the one of he disks does was not ejected properly.

Usually it my Time machine external disk I usually have another disk connected at the same, it clones periodically

What causes his sudden behavior. Never happened before

I am running Mojave

The external disks are connected through a dock - and have been since before the problem sarted

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 24, 2020 2:39 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 24, 2020 2:51 PM

tommmy wrote:

Suddenly every time my mac goes to sleep, a notification appears saying the one of he disks does was not ejected properly.
Usually it my Time machine external disk I usually have another disk connected at the same, it clones periodically

I am running Mojave
The external disks are connected through a dock - and have been since before the problem sarted

This is a indicator that one of the drives could be failing/operating in a state of failure.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 24, 2020 2:51 PM in response to tommmy

tommmy wrote:

I am running Mojave

This is a indicator that one of the drives could be failing/operating in a state of failure.

May 24, 2020 2:57 PM in response to leroydouglas

Ouch. You are probably right

I had three external drives give me trouble. I was able to nurse them back using disk uility and disk warrior.

I suppose it is time to retire them At least one is not that old. Two are LaCie one is G-systems

Wonder how / why three (3) disks fail in quick succession. All failed disks are 4tb

I have several 2TB that are okay, so far

Any idea?

May 28, 2020 3:05 PM in response to leroydouglas

@lerogdouglas The people at G-Technolgies say that since the disks are bus driven it must be an Apple problem

What I can't understand is that in two days three 4TB drives would have gone south after having no problem for over a yer I have had this computer. I have several 2TB drives that haven't given me any trouble. One is continuously connected and makes a clone once a day

I erased two of the disk and since I was doing a secure erase with Disk Utility I left it on all night and it didn't eject

Any new ideas, and thanks

Disk not Ejected properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.