You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Mail in Catalina – cannot create new mailboxes in IMAP accounts

I'm on a new Mac and I've added several work email accounts (all IMAP) to Apple Mail in addition to my iCloud account. I cannot add a new mailbox to any of the IMAP accounts, only the iCloud account. Whether I use the + button at the top of the Mailboxes column or use the menu command in the Mailboxes menu, nothing happens. I can only add new mailboxes to iCloud and On My Mac.

I will also note that the Mailbox display seems to have changed in Catalina; previously only the account inboxes were listed under the INBOX dropdown at the top, and all mailboxes/folders inside the IMAP accounts were listed below in the column. Now it appears that all mailboxes in an account are listed under the Inbox dropdown -- except for iCloud which still gets a dedicated dropdown at the bottom. If it's not supposed to look that way then I have a serious problem!

FWIW, I used Mail on an older Mac running Mojave and I was able to add a new mailbox to one of the accounts with no problems.

JVK

MBP 16", 2.4 8 core, 64GB, 1 TB, Mail 13.4, Catalina 10.15.4

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 26, 2020 1:34 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 26, 2020 3:10 PM

Oh, well. Someone else here may be able to give a good value for the Path Prefix. Maybe [INBOX]/

But, I really don't know.

Who hosts the email servers? Is it a company or are you hosting them yourself?

Might be able find something on their website.

7 replies

May 26, 2020 1:49 PM in response to John Knowles

The folders being listed under Inbox is not a new thing and it is not what Mail expects or can deal with very well. Mail won't let you create a mailbox within the Inbox, so if that is where all of yours are showing up, then that is likely why you cannot create a new one.

I think you can adjust that with IMAP Prefix Path in the account preferences in Mail, Advanced IMAP Settings button.

I don't know what you need to set for the path, though. Maybe your IT department knows.

May 26, 2020 2:34 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks for the reply, @Barney-15E! Appreciate it.

Yeah, I thought the new sidebar arrangement was weird. I feel like I didn't even have to set this up in prior versions, the mailboxes just went where they were supposed to. And IT Dept. is ME so I have no idea what to set that prefix path to either.

I just chatted with Apple support and they wanted to escalate me to Engineering -- but only after I upgrade to 10.15.5. Can't do that in the middle of a project I'm on and it's not even clear if that will fix the issue.

JVK

May 26, 2020 3:22 PM in response to Barney-15E

You sir, are a GENIUS.

Preferences>Accounts>Server Settings>Advanced IMAP settings

Set IMAP Path Prefix to INBOX

Create a new mailbox in IMAP account -- all of the mailboxes in the account move out of the Inbox and down into the column below where they belong!

The combo is required -- set the path prefix and then create a new mailbox, which finally triggers the reset of the account listing in the sidebar.

Thanks for the idea of putting "INBOX" in the path prefix!

JVK

MacOS Mail in Catalina – cannot create new mailboxes in IMAP accounts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.