You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update

Hi, I have a MacBook Air (2017) and I just tried to update my system from macOS 10.15.4 to 10.15.5 and the installer said that it couldn’t install the update. This has happened to me with every catalina update. I tried to reset VRAM and NVRAM, SMC and first aid in recovety mode. When I try to boot up to safe mode it just crashes during boot. Now it won’t even boot up to the update application. It just crashes when the progress is at 3/4 of the bar.

Last time this happened I needed to clean install my mac.

I don’t even have a recent time machine backup to restore my machine.

Please help.

MacBook Air

Posted on May 27, 2020 6:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 28, 2020 1:05 AM

Hi, I already tried to find the install application using terminal in recovery mode but I didn’t know where to find it. I couldn’t enter safe mode because it crashes when booting up. Last time I used first aid in disk utility it didn‘t work. Also there were no error messages anywhere.

But I resolved the issue by booting up with Option-Command-R and it downloaded the newest version of macOS and then I reinstalled the system.

This is a very cool feature because it keeps all you files and apps and now my Mac is working again.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 28, 2020 1:05 AM in response to rose_10

Hi, I already tried to find the install application using terminal in recovery mode but I didn’t know where to find it. I couldn’t enter safe mode because it crashes when booting up. Last time I used first aid in disk utility it didn‘t work. Also there were no error messages anywhere.

But I resolved the issue by booting up with Option-Command-R and it downloaded the newest version of macOS and then I reinstalled the system.

This is a very cool feature because it keeps all you files and apps and now my Mac is working again.

May 27, 2020 7:26 PM in response to kristofmate1

Good afternoon kristofmate1,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand you are not able to update your MacBook Air to macOS Catalina 10.15.5. It sounds like there is an issue with the hard drive if the computer will not boot up in safe mode. Did you see any error messages while you were in recovery mode? Take a look at the resources below to address this issue.

Try starting up in safe mode again so that you can remove the Install file if it is still in the Applications folder, and then back up your computer with Time Machine.

Try running First Aid again in macOS Recovery mode.

The articles contain links to contact Apple Support for additional help with the hard drive on this machine.

How to use safe mode on your Mac

About macOS Recovery

Take care.

Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.