You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I have 3 Macintosh HDs appearing in Disk Utility

I have:

Macintosh HD

Macintosh HD - Data

Macintosh HD - Data

This is weird stuff. And weird is NEVER good.

Let's get this stuff all right.

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 27, 2020 5:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 27, 2020 5:59 PM

Macintosh HD contains macOS

Macintosh HD - Data contains all User Account data. If there are two of them it means you created one additional container. It's up to you to find out if you want to keep it or not.

Perhaps the following will help explain: Add, delete, or erase APFS volumes in Disk Utility on Mac.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 27, 2020 5:59 PM in response to WoodbineOneM9

Macintosh HD contains macOS

Macintosh HD - Data contains all User Account data. If there are two of them it means you created one additional container. It's up to you to find out if you want to keep it or not.

Perhaps the following will help explain: Add, delete, or erase APFS volumes in Disk Utility on Mac.

May 27, 2020 7:49 PM in response to WoodbineOneM9

I would not dare to presume that I "know what I am talking about" according to your expectations; however, why don't you do a search here re. duplicate Macintosh HD - Data volumes. The second Data volume is quite often almost empty and it is also quite often caused by a reinstall. There are posts on how to eliminate it. Or you can simply use recovery to erase your drive and reinstall.

In Finder, there should only be one Macintosh HD showing. However, in Disk Utility, there should be both Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD - Data. That is new in Catalina and is expected behavior. The first contains the OS/system and is read only; the second contains apps, your files, etc and is read/write.

And, as an FYI: we are all other users here volunteering our time to help others; you want professional support, you need to contact Apple.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208496

Why do I have 3 Macintosh HDs appearing in Disk Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.