You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac mini 2011

Best regards and safe passage to everyone.

Bought a manufacturer refurbished Mac mini 2011 with 10.13 installed. Connected to Asus 27/8Q with HDMI.

Problem : Booting appears normal with a clear Apple logo and progress bar. Then screen is filled with colored dots and squares. However when booting into Safe Mode, the screen has the dots until I sign in, then a normal 1080p screen shows. I have ordered a mini-displayport to DisplayPort cable to see if that makes a difference.

Anyone with a similar problem ?

My take is that one of the kexts, plists or caches that is NOT loaded in safe mode is causing the problem. But there's a lot of them... Is there a list that shows what is loaded and what is not ?

Finally, would anyone like to venture a guess on which kext, plist, or cache I should try to delete first ?

Thanks

Posted on May 31, 2020 5:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 31, 2020 9:12 PM

Hello,

The first thing I would do is fully erase your Mac and re-install macOS. This would eliminate any concern of there being a software problem.

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies

mac mini 2011

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.