You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recovering of Encrypted back up?

Hello everyone,

I have a totally different question. Few days back, I took an encrypted backup of my iPhone X and then I took those back up files from that computer. Now I have the encrypted back in my computer and I want to retain that back in my iPhone XS max. I do know the encrypted backup password

If anyone has any idea. Please let me know.

Thanks

iPhone XS Max

Posted on Jun 1, 2020 11:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2020 6:38 AM

If you open iTunes and the backup is in the correct place iTunes should find it. To check to go iTunes Preferences, devices page, and the backup should be listed.

Here’s the location information—>Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

8 replies

Jun 3, 2020 6:31 AM in response to ShivamJadon2995th

Just to answer the last part of your post; "I do know the encrypted backup password"

You do not remember your encrypted backup password, I can understand.

You do not remember having created an encrypted backup, I can understand this also.

This means iCloud Key chain was checked while creating the encrypted backup, because by default it is checked.

Look for it in iCloud Keychain.

Did you un-check keychain while creating the encrypted password (By default it is checked) See the pic below.

If you had un-checked then the only option that you have is, keep trying various passwords as there is no limit on number of attempts.

You may have forgotten that you had entered a password. --> About encrypted backups on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch ...

Recovering of Encrypted back up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.