You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Failing HardDrive - Advice on best method to back up items ... read on

my macbook pro hardrive mid 2012 may be failing. of course the external hard drive i used as back up failed the First Aid disk utility.

Goal: Save all photos and a few documents from macbook pro into new external hard drive. i want to wipe and erase macbook to start all over.

not knowing a thing about it i have all of my files saved under icloud drive .

Question: What’s the best method of saving my photos to a new hard drive? Are the photos and movies that appear in my iphoto/ photos and imovie apps appear in a specific place and i can copy and paste?

Im a bit confused about icloud drive - in that if i erase my macbook disks, will it delete all of my files on drive?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 3, 2020 8:51 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2020 10:43 AM

To learn how to use Time Machine please read Back up your files with Time Machine on Mac.

Im a bit confused about icloud drive - in that if i erase my macbook disks, will it delete all of my files on drive?

No. You can completely erase a Mac and files on iCloud Drive will not be affected. iCloud Drive is explained here: Set up iCloud Drive - Apple Support. Don't erase files on iCloud Drive unless you really want to erase them.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 3, 2020 10:43 AM in response to misanthropicsu_

To learn how to use Time Machine please read Back up your files with Time Machine on Mac.

No. You can completely erase a Mac and files on iCloud Drive will not be affected. iCloud Drive is explained here: Set up iCloud Drive - Apple Support. Don't erase files on iCloud Drive unless you really want to erase them.

Failing HardDrive - Advice on best method to back up items ... read on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.