You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't add page in Pages (document) following an image the + sign is dim

What am I missing here?

Thanks, Tom

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jun 4, 2020 1:53 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2020 6:28 PM

HI Tom,

Repeating what I said in my initial reply:

"You can force a new page by placing the insertion point in the text or immediately after the last text on a page and inserting a Page break."

And repeated in my second reply:

"If it (the insertion point) is not in or at the end of the body text, that would explain Page Beak being greyed"

The insertion point can be place only in a text environment—at the place where text begins in a document body, in a text box, or in a shape, between two characters in a string of text, or immediately after the last character in a string of text.

A page break can be inserted at the insertion point only ii the insertion point is in the main text body. In the other locations mentioned above, there is no opportunity for a 'new page' to be created.

Here is a screen shot of the document shown in my initial reply, this time with the Insert menu closed, and not hiding the insertion point (red arrow)

Th insertion point is placed "immediately after the last text" (the 'return character after "stops.") The arrow is an inserted object, standing in for the first of your four images.

Opening the Insert menu and choosing Page break has this result:

An page break is inserted immediately following the text, pushing the insertion point to the top of the new page below (green arrow added), ready for additional text to be added on this page. The red arrow, having been set to 'Stay on Page' as noted earlier, and standing in for your image, "Stays on (the former) Page" in the same position on that page as it was before the Page break was inserted.

Regards,

Barry

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 6, 2020 6:28 PM in response to Tom Meade1

HI Tom,

Repeating what I said in my initial reply:

"You can force a new page by placing the insertion point in the text or immediately after the last text on a page and inserting a Page break."

And repeated in my second reply:

"If it (the insertion point) is not in or at the end of the body text, that would explain Page Beak being greyed"

The insertion point can be place only in a text environment—at the place where text begins in a document body, in a text box, or in a shape, between two characters in a string of text, or immediately after the last character in a string of text.

A page break can be inserted at the insertion point only ii the insertion point is in the main text body. In the other locations mentioned above, there is no opportunity for a 'new page' to be created.

Here is a screen shot of the document shown in my initial reply, this time with the Insert menu closed, and not hiding the insertion point (red arrow)

Th insertion point is placed "immediately after the last text" (the 'return character after "stops.") The arrow is an inserted object, standing in for the first of your four images.

Opening the Insert menu and choosing Page break has this result:

An page break is inserted immediately following the text, pushing the insertion point to the top of the new page below (green arrow added), ready for additional text to be added on this page. The red arrow, having been set to 'Stay on Page' as noted earlier, and standing in for your image, "Stays on (the former) Page" in the same position on that page as it was before the Page break was inserted.

Regards,

Barry

Jun 5, 2020 3:10 PM in response to Tom Meade1

Hi Tom,

Pages word processing documents add pages automatically when they are needed to accommodate the text in the document body.

You cn force a new page by placing the insertion point in the text or immediatelly after the last text on a page and inserting a Page break.

Go to the Insert Menu and choose Page break.

With Show Invisibles set in the View menu, a Page break will appear as shown in the image above, and a new page will be added after the page containing the page break.

Regards,

Barry

Jun 4, 2020 11:47 PM in response to Tom Meade1

HI Tom,

What version number of OS X or macOS is running on your MBPro? (Apple menu > About this Mac)

What version of Pages are you using? (Pages menu > About Pages)

Which type of Pages document is the doc that is misbehaving? (Types are Word Processing and Page Layout. The convert to item in the File menu will tell you which type it is NOT.)

How many pages are there currently in the document?

Has this happened with any other Pages document?

Jun 5, 2020 8:50 PM in response to Tom Meade1

Hi Tom,

"Barry, there is no Page Break on Insert Menu - View set to Show Invisibles."

Your image shows Page Break as the first item in the second section of the Insert menu.

I don't see a page break (or any 'invisible' character as none of the body text is included in your screen shot.

What happens if you place the insertion point where you want the text on page A to end, then press return several times (until there is some action beyond the normal 'new line')?

Regards,

Barry

Where is the insertion point? If it is not in or at the end of the body text, that would explain Page Beak being greyed—If you haven't specified where something is to be inserted (by placing the insertion point at that location), Pages won't let you insert it.

Jun 6, 2020 12:07 PM in response to Barry

Barry, that's the problem - an insertion point can't be made anywhere below the image -

they're supposed to be in order - three more images are ready to follow the first one but

image No. 1 stops the action.

There's room for insertion points above the image, plenty of it - but below no dice.

The images are supposed to be in order - 1,2,3,4. But the action's stopped below the 1.

Can't add page in Pages (document) following an image the + sign is dim

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.