You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flash drive with iPad

Hi. I use my iPad for work (I’m a teacher) but when I’m at work I store a lot of my things on a USB flash drive. I know that there is an Apple Lightning to USB3 adapter and I was wondering if I purchased one, would I be able to access the files on my USB stick on my iPad - I.e word documents, PowerPoints, etc? or is it just for being able to access music/photos?

I have an IPad Air 2

Thanks

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 13

Posted on Jun 5, 2020 7:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2020 8:00 AM

With iPadOS13, you have have considerable flexibility. Provided that the external storage is correctly partitioned and formatted, in (as with any computing platform), you’ll be able to access most files for which you can find appropriate Apps. You are not limited to music or photos.

Standard file types for Microsoft Office products, such as Word, Powerpoint, Excel etc, are all accessible.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 5, 2020 8:00 AM in response to HayleyO1

With iPadOS13, you have have considerable flexibility. Provided that the external storage is correctly partitioned and formatted, in (as with any computing platform), you’ll be able to access most files for which you can find appropriate Apps. You are not limited to music or photos.

Standard file types for Microsoft Office products, such as Word, Powerpoint, Excel etc, are all accessible.

Jun 5, 2020 9:02 AM in response to HayleyO1

If these computing terms are alien to you, then you’re maybe going to need to do a little research and learning.

To work with your iPad, the storage device must only have a single data partition - and be formatted to FAT, FAT32, exFAT or APFS. The “partitioning” and “format” describes how the stored data is structured on the device - and this must conform to one of the standards that iPadOS can support.

FAT and its variants are fairly universal. APFS is an Apple proprietary standard; if you don’t use a Mac computer, you can forget about it. If you a PC, then you’ll not be able to use Microsoft proprietary standards such as NTFS (another standard that Apple Mac computers don’t support).

Most ordinary USB flash drives (a.k.a., “thumb drive”, “memory stick” etc) will be formatted from the factory using FAT32. If you reformat the device on a PC or Mac, just make sure that you choose one of the FAT standards.

Flash drive with iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.