You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

reset external monitor with broken macbook screen

my macbook screen broke only allowing you to see the top inch. it works with an external monitor (hp 19ka), but when i was adjusting the resolution the monitor went black and i can’t see the display settings on the macbook to change them

i have the mid 2012 macbook pro, not getting it repaired as a new one will be here this week but i need to work

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 6, 2020 12:43 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2020 1:01 PM

I can understand that this is a tough situation to be in. You tried a different resolution on the screen of your external display and your MacBook Pro complied while your external display did not. You have no way of going back to the working resolution because you cannot see what is on the screen of your MacBook Pro. I am assuming that, at present, your devices are in the same state as you indicated in your post.

• What happens if you close the lid of your MacBook Pro? Does the external display takeover with the right resolution?
  • Are there any options on your external display to choose various resolutions manually from a menu? if YES then can you try those to see if it becomes active again?
  • Can your MacBook Pro be shut down and booted to the desktop in the current condition? if YES then-
    • Shut down the MacBook Pro and the External Monitor
    • While rebooting your MacBook Pro, can you first try resetting the SMC as shown here  ➔ How to Reset SMC. and see if that helps bringing the external monitor back to being normally active. If that does not work then-
    • While rebooting your MacBook Pro, can you try resetting the NVRAM/PRAM as shown here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM and see if that resolves the issue.

Axel F.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 6, 2020 1:01 PM in response to dullcie32

I can understand that this is a tough situation to be in. You tried a different resolution on the screen of your external display and your MacBook Pro complied while your external display did not. You have no way of going back to the working resolution because you cannot see what is on the screen of your MacBook Pro. I am assuming that, at present, your devices are in the same state as you indicated in your post.

• What happens if you close the lid of your MacBook Pro? Does the external display takeover with the right resolution?
  • Are there any options on your external display to choose various resolutions manually from a menu? if YES then can you try those to see if it becomes active again?
  • Can your MacBook Pro be shut down and booted to the desktop in the current condition? if YES then-
    • Shut down the MacBook Pro and the External Monitor
    • While rebooting your MacBook Pro, can you first try resetting the SMC as shown here  ➔ How to Reset SMC. and see if that helps bringing the external monitor back to being normally active. If that does not work then-
    • While rebooting your MacBook Pro, can you try resetting the NVRAM/PRAM as shown here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM and see if that resolves the issue.

Axel F.

reset external monitor with broken macbook screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.