You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screenshot selection tool not working in Catalina 10.15.5

Hi, All -- I like using Screenshot on occasion and was always able to use the selection tool to outline the portion of the screen that I wanted to capture, but now that tool doesn't seem to work. I am still able to capture the entire screen with Screenshot, and it captures and appears on my desktop, but I am not able to select and capture only the part of the screen that I want -- nuts! Is there something that I'm missing? Clicking on the selection tool item grays the screen, but no outline tool appears. I am able to do a screen shot capture with selection in Preview, and that works beautifully, but not with Screenshot -- what's up? Thanks! Latest Catalina update 10.15.5 on an iMac 5K Retina.

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 7, 2020 10:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2020 11:01 AM

Screenshot works, but does not allow for selection of a particular part of the screen -- it captures the ENTIRE screen, which is not what I want to do. I want to use the selection tool to outline what I want to capture, but that tool, although available in the bottom menu, just brings up a gray screen with no cursor selection tool -- this tool worked and was available in earlier versions...

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 7, 2020 11:01 AM in response to dialabrain

Screenshot works, but does not allow for selection of a particular part of the screen -- it captures the ENTIRE screen, which is not what I want to do. I want to use the selection tool to outline what I want to capture, but that tool, although available in the bottom menu, just brings up a gray screen with no cursor selection tool -- this tool worked and was available in earlier versions...

Screenshot selection tool not working in Catalina 10.15.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.