You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t lock iPhone screen

My iPhone XS is acting up and I’m not able to lock the screen with the side button.

When I restart the phone it works a few times but then it stops working again.

I read a tip to use the Assistive touch function, but it only works when the button still works. When the button stops working, so does assistive touch.

Any ideas what to do?

iPhone XS, iOS 13

Posted on Jun 9, 2020 11:00 AM

1 reply

Jun 11, 2020 12:11 PM in response to Fnorf

Howdy Fnorf,

It’s great to have you in the Apple Support Communities! I gather that you are having issues locking your screen with the side button. I'm happy to help out with that. 

If you are currently using a case, cover or any other accessories, please remove those. 

Also, make sure you're using the latest version of iOS which would be iOS 13.5.1. This article will assist with updating if needed: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If the issue persists, try restoring to factory settings using iTunes. This process will erase your iPhone, fixing any software related issues.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings 

Then set up your iPhone as new and test while in factory settings.

If you continue to run into issues after trying those steps, please reach out here for additional support: Contact Apple Support

Have a great rest of your day!

Can’t lock iPhone screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.