You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Discrepancy in free space available on the hard drive?

I have a 2015 era 15" MacBook Pro with a 1 TB solid state drive, running MacOS Mojave. I was warned that the drive was running out of space, so I started deleting files, using the storage manager that you get from the "About this Mac" window. Most of those big files were movies, either iTunes digital downloads or movies that I had downloaded from phones or other places, though not edited.

It now looks in "About this Mac" like I have 300 GB of space free. However, the (get info) (bottom window of the same machine) shows that I only have about 50 GB free, and 263 GB of purgable space, but it does not reflect the 200+ GB of space that I freed. Any idea what gives and how I can fix this?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 9, 2020 1:28 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2020 1:46 PM

Dr_Jimbob Said:

"Discrepancy in free space available on the hard drive?: [...]It now looks in "About this Mac" like I have 300 GB of space free. However, the (get info) (bottom window of the same machine) shows that I only have about 50 GB free, and 263 GB of purgable space, but it does not reflect the 200+ GB of space that I freed. Any idea what gives and how I can fix this?."

-------

Having Moved these Files:

Perhaps caches need to be reset. So, try the following in the order provided:

A. Close these Windows:

Reopening these windows should show it how it should be.

B. Refresh Finder:

1. Go To: Apple menu
  2. Select: Force Quit...
  3. Select: Finder
  4. Click: Refresh button

C. Open these Windows:

See if caches reset, and all is shown as should be.

D. Restart the Mac:

See if restarting if keeps it as it should.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 9, 2020 1:46 PM in response to Dr_Jimbob

Dr_Jimbob Said:

"Discrepancy in free space available on the hard drive?: [...]It now looks in "About this Mac" like I have 300 GB of space free. However, the (get info) (bottom window of the same machine) shows that I only have about 50 GB free, and 263 GB of purgable space, but it does not reflect the 200+ GB of space that I freed. Any idea what gives and how I can fix this?."

-------

Having Moved these Files:

Perhaps caches need to be reset. So, try the following in the order provided:

A. Close these Windows:

Reopening these windows should show it how it should be.

B. Refresh Finder:

1. Go To: Apple menu
  2. Select: Force Quit...
  3. Select: Finder
  4. Click: Refresh button

C. Open these Windows:

See if caches reset, and all is shown as should be.

D. Restart the Mac:

See if restarting if keeps it as it should.

Discrepancy in free space available on the hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.