You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I fix my iPhone/MacBook photo sharing problems??

When I got my new MacBook Pro last year and I transferred all my photos from my old one, all the photos ended up on my iPhone in addition to Photos on my Mac. When I then have tried to delete photos from my phone, they delete from my MacBook. Now I have 1,000s of photos on my phone, but I'm afraid to delete them. Recently, I imported about 1000 photos from an external device onto my MacBook, and again, all the photos are on my phone. I just want the photos on my computer, not my phone.

When I try to delete photos from my iPhone, they delete completely from my MacBook. I just want to get the photos off my phone (now I'm nearly out of storage), but keep them on my MacBook.

Current Photos settings on my MacBook:

• iCloud Photos - Download originals to this Mac is checked
  • My Photo Stream is turned on

Current Photos settings on my iPhone:

• iCloud photos is turned on
  • Download and keep originals is on (I've tried changing this to Optimize iPhone Storage and still had the same problems)
  • Upload to My Photo Stream is turned off
  • Transfer to Mac or PC is turned on

I'm at a loss of what to do. I don't want 1000s of photos on my phone, and I want the actual downloaded photos on my computer so they don't disappear when I delete from my phone. I'm old...and I miss the ease of transferring through iTunes...

Lastly, how can I tell if the photos on my MacBook are ACTUALLY on my MacBook and not in the cloud? In Finder, there is no folder for Photos where I can see the actual files like there was on my 2011 MacBook.

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Jun 9, 2020 1:30 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2020 9:55 PM

Apparently iCloud Photos was not enabled on your old MacBook, but somehow became enabled on your new MacBook Pro. That, in combination with iCloud Photos being enabled on your iPhone, is what caused the effects you noted in your first two paragraphs. iCloud Photos is a full-sync service, always trying to keep the same photos on all devices connected to your cloud library.

If you want to prevent photos deleted on one device from being deleted on the other, turn off iCloud Photos on the iPhone and/or the MacBook Pro and leave it off. If you are making no other use of iCloud Photos, you may as well disable it on both devices.

You then have to choose some other method to transfer photos taken on the iPhone to the MacBook Pro (assuming you don't want to just keep them separate or you don't take photos with your iPhone).

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 10, 2020 9:55 PM in response to AngelaPM

Apparently iCloud Photos was not enabled on your old MacBook, but somehow became enabled on your new MacBook Pro. That, in combination with iCloud Photos being enabled on your iPhone, is what caused the effects you noted in your first two paragraphs. iCloud Photos is a full-sync service, always trying to keep the same photos on all devices connected to your cloud library.

If you want to prevent photos deleted on one device from being deleted on the other, turn off iCloud Photos on the iPhone and/or the MacBook Pro and leave it off. If you are making no other use of iCloud Photos, you may as well disable it on both devices.

You then have to choose some other method to transfer photos taken on the iPhone to the MacBook Pro (assuming you don't want to just keep them separate or you don't take photos with your iPhone).

How do I fix my iPhone/MacBook photo sharing problems??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.