You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remote login MacBook Pro to iMac - both computers use Catalina

I would like to remotely login from my MacBook Pro to my iMac at home - easy method or best method appreciated.

thanks in advance for any help

Jim

Posted on Jun 9, 2020 7:40 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2020 11:53 AM

Please define 'remote login' since that has many flavors.

First, is 'remote' from across the room (i.e. over the local network)? Or remote (across the country)? That's a big factor right there.

Secondly,

Are you looking for a command-line login over something like SSH?

Are you looking for file sharing login, where you can access files stored on the iMac?

Are you looking for full-screen sharing where you can see and manipulate the iMac's desktop?

All of these have different components, but all are considered 'remote login'

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 10, 2020 11:53 AM in response to RCTJIM

Please define 'remote login' since that has many flavors.

First, is 'remote' from across the room (i.e. over the local network)? Or remote (across the country)? That's a big factor right there.

Secondly,

Are you looking for a command-line login over something like SSH?

Are you looking for file sharing login, where you can access files stored on the iMac?

Are you looking for full-screen sharing where you can see and manipulate the iMac's desktop?

All of these have different components, but all are considered 'remote login'

Jun 10, 2020 12:04 PM in response to Camelot

Yes I want long distance remote operation of my iMac USA and abroad

i am trying to operate quicken windows which is on my home computer with parallels and windows 10

when I travel I still want to use quicken on my home iMac computer

no file sharing is needed as I just want to be able to remotely use the quicken windows program on my home iMac while traveling

i have been using quicken windows on both computers with separate parallels and windows 10 while backing up data in iCloud

btw quicken Mac program sucks as that is the most obvious solution but .....?

I have been trying ssh but no luck yet so I asked for help

Jun 10, 2020 12:30 PM in response to RCTJIM

The easy way, is to setup TeamViewer.com

Configure the TeamViewer.com app on the at home computer so it is always running, and will let you connect without needing someone to approve the connection.

You could try to setup a VPN server on your home network, and allow you to make a VPN connection to your home, and then screen share across the VPN connection. Non-trivial.

You could open ports in your home router that allow screen sharing into your home network. Non-trival and higher risk factor.

Remote login MacBook Pro to iMac - both computers use Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.