You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Texting to Androids

I have a new iPad Air and am not able to text to an android phone. I've looked all over the settings. I've tried everything, but I can't seem to figure out what to do. Anyone know what needs to be done?

iPad Air, iPadOS 13

Posted on Jun 10, 2020 4:09 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2020 4:15 PM

I'm going to assume you have a companion iPhone, yes? Assuming you do, this is two-fold.

1. On your iPad go to Settings > Messages and make sure SMS and MMS is turned on.
  2. You need to set up Continuity Services to be able to send SMS and MMS messages to Android phones. See this link and click on the link about Text Message Forwarding --> Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

Note: Even if your iPad is a cellular iPad, that is for data only when you cannot access Wifi. No iPad has a cellular radio, so texting in conventional sense to Android phones must be include an iPhone.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 10, 2020 4:15 PM in response to NonAppleTexting

I'm going to assume you have a companion iPhone, yes? Assuming you do, this is two-fold.

1. On your iPad go to Settings > Messages and make sure SMS and MMS is turned on.
  2. You need to set up Continuity Services to be able to send SMS and MMS messages to Android phones. See this link and click on the link about Text Message Forwarding --> Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

Note: Even if your iPad is a cellular iPad, that is for data only when you cannot access Wifi. No iPad has a cellular radio, so texting in conventional sense to Android phones must be include an iPhone.

Texting to Androids

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.