You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting ViewSonic Projector

I have a Macbook Air (2017). Tried several differnet ways (HDMI, with VGA adaptor) to connect to my ViewSonic outdoor projector to no avail. Help! Projector turns on and says it doesn't recognize any sources.

Posted on Jun 14, 2020 12:41 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2020 1:37 PM

No, definitely please do not download anything.

For the Mac, please review Use external monitors with your Mac. Your Mac doesn't know the difference between a projector or an external monitor so don't worry about the title. There are a couple links under Learn More so review them too.

Then, proceed with confirming the projector's configuration is correct. I suspect you may find it necessary to explicitly tell it to use HDMI and not some other input.

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 14, 2020 1:37 PM in response to jcretv

No, definitely please do not download anything.

For the Mac, please review Use external monitors with your Mac. Your Mac doesn't know the difference between a projector or an external monitor so don't worry about the title. There are a couple links under Learn More so review them too.

Then, proceed with confirming the projector's configuration is correct. I suspect you may find it necessary to explicitly tell it to use HDMI and not some other input.

Jun 14, 2020 1:27 PM in response to jcretv

https://www.viewsonic.com/us/catalog/product_datasheet/view/key/pa503w.html

It has an HDMI input (number 6 in the diagram). You can use these adapters or their functional equivalents: https://www.apple.com/us/search/mini-displayport-to-hdmi

I use an inexpensive Mini-DP to HDMI adapter from Monoprice. They're $10 or so.

Considering it's an outdoor projector you will want an HDMI cable longer than any of those. They're not expensive either.

In any event don't look for or use VGA for anything. Its resolution is horrible.

Jun 14, 2020 1:41 PM in response to jcretv

jcretv Said:

"Connecting ViewSonic Projector: I have a Macbook Air (2017). Tried several differnet ways (HDMI, with VGA adaptor) to connect to my ViewSonic outdoor projector to no avail. Help! Projector turns on and says it doesn't recognize any sources."

-------

Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for ports) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM.

Jun 14, 2020 1:44 PM in response to TheLittles

TheLittles wrote:

jcretv Said:
"Connecting ViewSonic Projector: I have a Macbook Air (2017). Tried several differnet ways (HDMI, with VGA adaptor) to connect to my ViewSonic outdoor projector to no avail. Help! Projector turns on and says it doesn't recognize any sources."
-------

Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:
Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for ports) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM.

No. This obviously will not help. Don't do this.

Connecting ViewSonic Projector

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.