You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID ( old and new)

Hi, I wanted to know how can I change my original Apple ID. When I first got the phone years ago , it was connected ( my Apple ID to an email I no longer use) and now I have changed it to the new email however whenever I want to download an app or it keeps asking for the password to the old Apple ID ( old email address) I already changed it but when I want to do download something it says, insert password to Apple ID ( old email) and it just won’t work. How do I fix this? Do I need to physically go into the store?

iPhone 8, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 15, 2020 12:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2020 12:30 PM

See What to do when the Mac App Store shows a different Apple ID for software updates https://www.macworld.com/article/3267709/mac-app-store-apple-id.html. This document refers to a prior owner, but is also applies to cases where a current owner's old Apple ID is the problem.

Basically, If an app is purchased/downloaded using one Apple ID, then you can't update it with another Apple ID. The app is inextricably linked to the first Apple ID. You'll have to delete it and repurchase/download it again with the second Apple ID. 

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 15, 2020 12:30 PM in response to VC311

See What to do when the Mac App Store shows a different Apple ID for software updates https://www.macworld.com/article/3267709/mac-app-store-apple-id.html. This document refers to a prior owner, but is also applies to cases where a current owner's old Apple ID is the problem.

Basically, If an app is purchased/downloaded using one Apple ID, then you can't update it with another Apple ID. The app is inextricably linked to the first Apple ID. You'll have to delete it and repurchase/download it again with the second Apple ID. 

Apple ID ( old and new)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.