You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad air update help

I have an ipad air and I just updated it and it says it’s the 12.4.7 though to download an app I need 13.2 update but it says my ipad is up to date. Any help would be great!

iPad Air Wi-Fi

Posted on Jun 16, 2020 4:33 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2020 4:38 PM

Hello,

If your iPad will not update past 12 then you have an iPad Air (1st generation). This iPad model does not support any system version newer than 12. You cannot update your iPad any further. If you need to use an application that requires a newer system software version then you will need to purchase a newer iPad model.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 16, 2020 4:38 PM in response to chasey123

Hello,

If your iPad will not update past 12 then you have an iPad Air (1st generation). This iPad model does not support any system version newer than 12. You cannot update your iPad any further. If you need to use an application that requires a newer system software version then you will need to purchase a newer iPad model.

Jun 16, 2020 4:41 PM in response to chasey123

Your first generation iPad Air can only be updated to iOS 12.4.7.

Apple ended major update support for iPad Air1 and mini2 in September 2019. Your iPad Air1 cannot be updated to iPadOS 13 (or any later major versions of iPadOS) as the internal hardware does not meet the minimum technical requirements for new versions of iOS/iPadOS.

Some App developers have dropped support for iOS versions preceding iOS 13.x for technical reasons (often because APIs or software libraries upon which they rely have been updated in the new version of iPadOS, making their App incompatible with earlier versions).  Procreate is one such App, which, due to libraries upon which the App has dependency, now requires iPadOS 13.2 or later.

Whilst many App titles remain compatible with your iPad Air1, if you want or need to access to Apps requiring the most recent versions of iOS, you’ll need to consider replacement of your iPad with a newer or current model that supports iPadOS13.x.

Sorry, I appreciate that this may not be what you were hoping to learn.

I hope this information provides helpful clarity as to your available options - and the limitations of your current iPad.

Jun 16, 2020 5:12 PM in response to chasey123

Your 2013 iPad Air is at the end of its Apple upgrade/update cycle with only some version of iOS 12 ( currently iOS 12.4.7 ).

If you need an iPad that can run the latest and greatest versions of iOS, as well as, the most current apps available, then, you need to purchase a new iPad from Apple or a discounted, refurbished iPad from Apple’s Refurbished & Clearance section of Apple’s Website or a new or refurbished iPad from an Apple authorised, third party retail or online reseller OR other trusted sources for new or used Apple products.

Sorry & Best of Luck to You!`

ipad air update help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.