You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot open files on another iMac

We have two iMacs at home that we regularly connect between using Go>Connect to Server, etc.

I can connect from my wife's iMac 1 to my iMac 2 using my login/password and see my folders, but I can't open them or see their contents as I could previously (probably a few months ago).

iMac 1 is a Retina 5K, 27", 2017 running Mojave 10.14.6

iMac 2 is a 27", late 2012 running Catalina 10.15.5

We haven't updated Mac 1 to Catalina as I am copying HFS DVDs onto the drive as Catalina doesn't support HFS files...whinge, whinge like others!

Update: now when I try to connect to Mac 1 from Mac 2 its image appears with Not Connected message bu when I click on Connect as...nothing happens.

Both Macs are set up for file sharing...in fact, no settings have changed since the last time I transferred files.

What have I done wrong?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jun 16, 2020 10:32 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2020 5:05 PM

Just found the answer on another forum...it appears to be an issue with Mojave. Tuned off file sharing on both computers then turned it on again...can see files!

Similar questions

5 replies

Cannot open files on another iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.