You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internal speakers stuck in headphone mode

My internal speakers works on windows in macbook air but are stuck in headphone mode when I switch to Macos? I tried everything including the plugin plug out method.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 17, 2020 7:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2020 1:07 AM

sachinsingla Said:

"It says - 'Unable to determine realpath for /Library/Extensions/SoundflowerSigned.kext - failing.'"

-------

Then that would mean that the extension is non existent - so put that reply aside - no worries there.

---

Other Thoughts:

• SMC and NVRAM

As I mentioned above, Reset the SMC and NVRAM - but this time, do so 3 times for each item. This can be a bit time consuming, but it is best, I think from here. The ports will be reset to how they should be.

• Is Office Installed?

Check and see if Microsoft is updating itself in the background. If you have MS Office installed, open MS Office, and check for updates. You might try uninstalling anything that is Microsoft-Related. Then, see if it works. But, backup the Mac prior to the uninstall. If it works, restore your Mac to the Time Machine Backup you just created.

And...

13 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 29, 2020 1:07 AM in response to sachinsingla

sachinsingla Said:

"It says - 'Unable to determine realpath for /Library/Extensions/SoundflowerSigned.kext - failing.'"

-------

Then that would mean that the extension is non existent - so put that reply aside - no worries there.

---

Other Thoughts:

• SMC and NVRAM

As I mentioned above, Reset the SMC and NVRAM - but this time, do so 3 times for each item. This can be a bit time consuming, but it is best, I think from here. The ports will be reset to how they should be.

• Is Office Installed?

Check and see if Microsoft is updating itself in the background. If you have MS Office installed, open MS Office, and check for updates. You might try uninstalling anything that is Microsoft-Related. Then, see if it works. But, backup the Mac prior to the uninstall. If it works, restore your Mac to the Time Machine Backup you just created.

And...

Jun 18, 2020 9:58 PM in response to sachinsingla

Hello Sachin,

Not sure what you mean by you have "tried everything" and what methods fall into the "everything" category. I, therefore, have to ask you the following question. Can you manually set the sound output to your MacBook's internal speakers?

Open System Preferences ➔ Sound ➔ Output Tab - Ensure that the MacBook Air's Speakers are selected.

See image below-

Axel F.

Jun 22, 2020 11:20 PM in response to sachinsingla

sachinsingla

"Internal speakers stuck in headphone mode: Thanks for the help but unfortunately it doesn't work as well."

-------

Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for Ports) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. Your hard drive may not be being read promptly, so resetting these, all of the ports would be configured to how they should be..

Jun 26, 2020 6:24 AM in response to sachinsingla

sachinsingla Said:

"Internal speakers stuck in headphone mode: I tried everything including the plugin plug out method.Tried. nothing happened"

-------

Reinstall the macOS:

Nothing would be deleted. It's just that items that have become corrupted or deleted, would be replaced or reinstalled back to where they should be. Go Here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Important:

Create a Time Machine Backup First:

Prior to the reinstallation of your macOS, be certain to backup your Mac using a Time Machine Backup. That way, you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall. Use an external hard drive that is at least 1.5 the total storage capacity.

Jun 22, 2020 10:38 PM in response to sachinsingla

sachinsingla

"Internal speakers stuck in headphone mode: My internal speakers works on windows in macbook air but are stuck in headphone mode when I switch to Macos? I tried everything including the plugin plug out method."

-------

Try Resetting the Core Audio

1. Launch: Terminal (Go To: Applications > Utilities > Terminal)
  2. Enter: the following command: sudo killall coreaudiod
  3. Press: return
  4. Use: a password

Compatibility May be the Issue Here:

Look these up on the manufacture's Web site. See if it is even compatible to an Apple device.

Jun 27, 2020 11:11 AM in response to sachinsingla

sachinsingla Said:

"Internal speakers stuck in headphone mode: Tried. I reset my full Mac. Even erased the hard disk. Still the same. I can hear the start up sound but after that it shows headphones in sound preferences.

———-

Thank you for the update. Try the Following:

How Many Audio Devices?:

Check and see how many audio devices are seen. Try it checking in two different ways:

A. Use System Report:

1. Go To: Apple Menu
  2. Select: About this Mac...
  3. Click: System Information button
  4. Click: System Report button
  5. Expand: Hardware menu
  6. Click: Audio

Do you see any audio devices? If so, how many?

B. Use System Preferences:

1. Go To: System Preferences
  2. Select: Sound
  3. Click: Input tab
  4. Click: Output tab

Do you see any audio devices? If so, how many?

Internal speakers stuck in headphone mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.