You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Huge System Files, can't boot into safe mode

Hi all,

My 1 TB ssd shows as 875 GB used, almost 700 GB as 'system files'. When I look at the actual top level directories on the drive (Applications, Library, System and Users, added together) it's got about 310 GB actually used.

I backed up the drive this AM, and it shows as 677 GB, but 269.57 purgeable - using Carbon Copy Cloner. So this lower number makes me suspect that the system files aren't real.

I know the System files aren't supposed to be this big, so I was going to boot into Safe mode and check it there to reset. It won't boot to safe mode using the shift key. I tried getting to safe mode in terminal, and couldn't figure that out.

I booted to recovery mode, did a first aid on the boot drive, tried again to go to safe mode. Nope. I tried resetting the p-ram and trying safe mode again. Nope.

So I guess I have two issues - how do I get the system files down (I suspect it's artificially large), and how do I fix the safe mode thing?

I don't have file vault on, and I have 'medium security' set for the mac, and the ability to boot from an external drive (in case I have to boot from my backup)

iMac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 17, 2020 8:18 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2020 5:39 AM

Thanks for the reply. I was doing my monthly backup and I noticed the system file size was different on that drive while I was cloning the drive with the problem. Since they are both SSDs , I decided to format my drive and restore from the backup. It took less than an hour and now the drive is only registering 300 gigabytes used instead of 850.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 21, 2020 5:39 AM in response to Amanda_S1

Thanks for the reply. I was doing my monthly backup and I noticed the system file size was different on that drive while I was cloning the drive with the problem. Since they are both SSDs , I decided to format my drive and restore from the backup. It took less than an hour and now the drive is only registering 300 gigabytes used instead of 850.

Jun 20, 2020 6:35 PM in response to MacDude22

Hello MacDude22,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! We understand that you need help with the large amount of system storage you are seeing. We are happy to help out.

Based on the steps you've taken so far, I'd recommend verifying you've used all suggestions here:

How to free up storage space on your Mac

About Time Machine local snapshots

Should you still have trouble accounting for the large System category or using safe mode, reach out to Apple for additional assistance: Contact Apple Support

Cheers!

Huge System Files, can't boot into safe mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.