You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBookAir 2018 will not take screenshots. Why?

I have followed the Apple shortcuts for screenshotting my MacBook Air 2018 and it will not work. Can anyone help?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 19, 2020 8:51 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2020 9:17 AM

I understand you want to take a screenshot but it's not working. Did you follow these instructions: Take screenshots or screen recordings on Mac - Apple Support?

If the keyboard shortcut is not working for you:  (Apple menu) > System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Screen Shots > Restore Defaults.

If you are using the "Dropbox" product I understand that it intercepts screenshots.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 19, 2020 9:17 AM in response to dawnlauriano

I understand you want to take a screenshot but it's not working. Did you follow these instructions: Take screenshots or screen recordings on Mac - Apple Support?

If the keyboard shortcut is not working for you:  (Apple menu) > System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Screen Shots > Restore Defaults.

If you are using the "Dropbox" product I understand that it intercepts screenshots.

Jun 19, 2020 9:54 AM in response to dawnlauriano

dawnlauriano wrote:

Shift, Command and 3, 4, and 5 do nothing.

Reinstall macOS according to Reinstall macOS - Apple Support.

If that does not correct the inability to take screenshots then contact Apple: Contact Support.

Needless to say, if you are using, or have used at any time in the past, any non-Apple "anti-virus", "cleaning", or "Internet security" products including "banking security", anything at all in that broad category of utterly useless garbage, don't. A lot of things won't work if you do.

My MacBookAir 2018 will not take screenshots. Why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.