You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do foreign keyboard layouts work with another countries dictionary?

I am looking to purchase a MacBook with a French keyboard layout (y and z) are switched as I will be using the the MacBook in both French and English. I would like to know that while I use the English dictionary my keyboard inputs will match the keyboard and not the language I am typing in. So while using the English language and clicking Z it's not seen as Y. I hope that makes sense.

Posted on Jun 22, 2020 2:13 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2020 4:04 AM

You can set and choose different keyboard layouts regardless the physical keyboard layout: https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/type-language-mac-input-sources-mchlp1406/mac

2 replies

Jun 22, 2020 5:21 AM in response to Alec_ken

Alec_ken wrote:

I would like to know that while I use the English dictionary my keyboard inputs will match the keyboard and not the language I am typing in.

Spellcheck dictionary and keyboard layout are totally independent in MacOS. You can use any keyboard layout to type in English with English spellcheck.

(Note this is different than for an iphone or ipad. In iOS the spellcheck language is determined by the keyboard language)

Do foreign keyboard layouts work with another countries dictionary?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.