You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does my macbook support two, three, or four monitors at 1080p?

Right now I have two AOC 27" monitors that are 1080p. I'm trying to figure out if the laptop supports a third one, but the technical specifications don't really make much sense to me:

According to https://support.apple.com/kb/SP756?locale=en_US:

Video Support
Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and:
Up to two displays with 5120-by-2880 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors
Up to four displays with 4096-by-2304 resolution at 60Hz at millions of colors
Up to four displays with 3840-by-2160 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors

Ok so what does this mean for 1080p monitors?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 22, 2020 8:49 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2020 9:45 AM

1080p displays are: 1920 by 1080p

so it can support up to FOUR at that resolution, HOWEVER:

Macs have been using DisplayPort family as their primary display interface for a decade or more. DisplayPort uses lower Voltages and sends less traffic to the display because it drops the "heartbeat-refresh" required to keep CRT displays alive.

When you try to connect beyond TWO HDMI or DVI displays, one of the three will drop out (at random). You need to connect some using DisplayPort (if available) or use an ACTIVE adapter that has signal re-drivers to boost the 3 Volts of DisplayPort up to the Higher Voltages required by HDMI.

Also, the data rates required may cause your MacBook Pro to get quite hot, and the fans may come on the remove the excess heat. This could be loud. DisplayPort family displays tend to run somewhat cooler.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 22, 2020 9:45 AM in response to altjxx

1080p displays are: 1920 by 1080p

so it can support up to FOUR at that resolution, HOWEVER:

Macs have been using DisplayPort family as their primary display interface for a decade or more. DisplayPort uses lower Voltages and sends less traffic to the display because it drops the "heartbeat-refresh" required to keep CRT displays alive.

When you try to connect beyond TWO HDMI or DVI displays, one of the three will drop out (at random). You need to connect some using DisplayPort (if available) or use an ACTIVE adapter that has signal re-drivers to boost the 3 Volts of DisplayPort up to the Higher Voltages required by HDMI.

Also, the data rates required may cause your MacBook Pro to get quite hot, and the fans may come on the remove the excess heat. This could be loud. DisplayPort family displays tend to run somewhat cooler.

Does my macbook support two, three, or four monitors at 1080p?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.