You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine stopped working with Catalina 10.15.5, why?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 22, 2020 5:56 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2020 10:48 PM

I am using Time Machine to back up to a Synology NAS.

Ok.. I am surprised as Synology NAS is one of the best.

Both Tesserax and I use Synology NAS and recommend them as best alternative now to the Time Capsule.

Perhaps this is an issue that came with the latest patch. Since it was working ok beforehand and so is your wife's computer on 10..15.4

Do read the info in Synology tutorials about how to setup the NAS for Time Machine.

The advertising bonjour over SMB is important.

https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Backup/How_to_back_up_files_from_Mac_to_Synology_NAS_with_Time_Machine

To force it to use SMB simply uncheck AFP as a protocol that is being used ..

Also you don't have to set SMB level. As long as you did not limit SMB then Catalina will always choose most secure option.

If you really want to fiddle you can.

It may be worthwhile to remove the disk in Time Machine... and reconfigure it exactly according to the Synology tutorial.

To do this you need to turn off Time Machine in Preferences.. then using add and remove backup disks

Then reboot the computer and after following the tutorial add the disk back into Time Machine. This will renew the Time Machine plist configuration.

I would still recommend using Carbon Copy Cloner while you are having issues. It has hugely superior reliability.. if less integrated into Mac OS.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 22, 2020 10:48 PM in response to Backupfortimemachine

I am using Time Machine to back up to a Synology NAS.

Ok.. I am surprised as Synology NAS is one of the best.

Both Tesserax and I use Synology NAS and recommend them as best alternative now to the Time Capsule.

Perhaps this is an issue that came with the latest patch. Since it was working ok beforehand and so is your wife's computer on 10..15.4

Do read the info in Synology tutorials about how to setup the NAS for Time Machine.

The advertising bonjour over SMB is important.

https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Backup/How_to_back_up_files_from_Mac_to_Synology_NAS_with_Time_Machine

To force it to use SMB simply uncheck AFP as a protocol that is being used ..

Also you don't have to set SMB level. As long as you did not limit SMB then Catalina will always choose most secure option.

If you really want to fiddle you can.

It may be worthwhile to remove the disk in Time Machine... and reconfigure it exactly according to the Synology tutorial.

To do this you need to turn off Time Machine in Preferences.. then using add and remove backup disks

Then reboot the computer and after following the tutorial add the disk back into Time Machine. This will renew the Time Machine plist configuration.

I would still recommend using Carbon Copy Cloner while you are having issues. It has hugely superior reliability.. if less integrated into Mac OS.

Jun 23, 2020 4:55 AM in response to LaPastenague

I am being pre-emptive here.. but very similar situation.. issues suddenly appear with 10.15.5 to a Time Capsule.. from the evidence there I would definitely suspect SMB1 is culprit.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251499777?answerId=252909767022#252909767022

There is another way to force the connection to AFP protocol and that might help with your particular issue.

Exactly as in previous thread.. use Go Connect to Server in Finder.

Once you have the disk mounted in Finder then you can select it in Time Machine and see if that works better than using SMB.

Jun 22, 2020 7:50 PM in response to Backupfortimemachine

Is this to a Time Capsule?

Be assured you are one of a multitude.. and AppleDNTCare.

The TC is now using older AFP protocol where Catalina really requires SMB2 or later.. not available on any Apple router.

I suggest you use a third party backup software like Carbon Copy Cloner.

Or if you wish to continue with Time Machine buy a large USB drive and plug into your computer.

Jun 22, 2020 9:06 PM in response to Tesserax

I am using Time Machine to back up to a Synology NAS. Since upgrading to Catalina 10.15.5 it does not do regularly scheduled backups. My wife also has a MacBook Pro, but it is running Cataline 10.15.4 (one version earlier). Her MacBook Pro time machine backs up to the Synology NAS without any issues. Any suggestions for what to do with my MacBook Pro running Catalina 10.15.5 to get it to work as it used with time machine backing up to a Synology NAS.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.