You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard disk slow – what' wrong?

Hi, the original hard disk in my iMac (late 2009) went very slow. Blackmagic Disk Speed Test from Apple's App Store showed read/write of about 35 MB/s.

So I changed it to a new HD (1TB, non-SSD) – but this is not at all speedier. Same 35 MB/s.

What can I do?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jun 23, 2020 12:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2020 3:26 PM

It has a SATA2 3 Gb/s Interface, but not all devices handshake properly, one scenario...

HDD: Do you speak SATA 3?

Mac: No idea what you're talking about.

HDD: OK, let's start at the bottom, do you speak SATA1?

Mac: Yep. 1.5 Gb/s is fine with me.

HDD: OK, 1.5 Gb/s it is.

15 replies

Jun 24, 2020 8:58 AM in response to BDAqua

Sorry for choosing the hard way…

But: Is there something like spontaneous remission on iMacs? It's quicker (not too quick) since I have cleared the PRam, and then I made the desktop "empty", i.e. put all files there in the Documents-Folder.

And: The new harddisk in my computer is a Toshiba P300 (1TB).

Thank you in advance for answering,

best regards

Jörg

Jun 24, 2020 9:11 AM in response to jörg2010

Delete this file & restart...

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.CSConfigDotMacCert-***@***-

~ tilde indicates hidden Home Library.

Apple hid the Users' Library folders...

Method 1:

1. From the Finder, select the Go menu at top of the screen, and choose Go to Folder.
  2. In the window that opens, enter ~/Library, and click Go.

Method 2:

1. Go to the Finder (or desktop).
  2. Hold the Option key on your keyboard, and click the Go menu at the top of the screen.
  3. With the Go menu open, you'll notice that pressing and releasing Option will display or hide the Library choice in this menu.

4 Select Library from the Go menu (while holding down Option) to access the hidden folder.

Where is it slowest at?

Normally 4GB of RAM is too little, but at the report time it wasn't short of RAM

Jun 23, 2020 10:26 AM in response to jörg2010

You can save us asking dozens of questions by submitting a report...

EtreCheck is a simple little app to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac. It will not display any personal info.

https://www.etrecheck.com/

Pastebin is a good place to paste the whole report if you capture the URL while there…

https://pastebin.com/

Workable but harder for me to work with...the Note tool on the bottom of this editor's toolbar, as shown in the image, to copy and paste the output from EtreCheck. In a Reply before you click post, look for this to add longer texts...

Jun 27, 2020 9:51 AM in response to jörg2010

One more thing: your hard drive.

The iMac 10,1 has a 3GB/sec SATA hard drive bus. This from MacTracker:

The current drive is rated at half that speed:

That sorta wastes the nice 7200rpm performance of that drive because your read writes speeds are half what they would be with a 3GB/sec drive. Matching the drive SATA speed to the 3GB/sec bus speed would double your read/writes to, based on that EtreCheck report says for drive peformance, about 140MB/sec.

Jun 26, 2020 3:05 AM in response to BDAqua

It worked!

It was remarkably very slow at:

• showing content of mails in Apple Mail program

• showing the content of Applications folder (especially that one!!)

• reaction to keyboard-input after starting of programs like Firefox

• starting programs like Indesign CS3 and Affinity Publisher

Sometimes it seemed like "freezing", sometimes I saw the beachball. Now it seems to be quicker, but there still is a certain delay… but I can live with that. I'll keep watching and will write again.

I have ordered another 8GB of RAM. Can I put all RAM in the iMac? Actually there are two 2GBs in two sockets, can I just add the newly bought two 4GBs in the other two sockets?

Jun 27, 2020 3:54 PM in response to jörg2010

Well, an SSD would be much faster because Seek times are near 0 ms, & seek times take up about half the time or more of the transfer. :)

My 2011 iMac Sata 3 6 Gb/s...

Intel 6 Series Chipset:

Vendor: Intel

Product: 6 Series Chipset

Link Speed: 6 Gigabit

Negotiated Link Speed: 6 Gigabit

Physical Interconnect: SATA

Description: AHCI Version 1.30 Supported

ST2000DM008-2FR102:

Capacity: 2 TB (2,000,398,934,016 bytes)

Model: ST2000DM008-2FR102            

Revision: 1

Serial Number: ZFL1YMVJ

Native Command Queuing: Yes

Queue Depth: 32

Removable Media: No

Detachable Drive: No

BSD Name: disk0

Rotational Rate: 7200

Medium Type: Rotational

Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)

S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified

In the olden days I did have some info on Negotiated speeds, even OWC 6 Gb/s SSDS cant run on some Macs @ 3Gb/s because of the handshaking, they run @ 1.5 Gb/s, 0the SATA2 3 Gb/s SSDs will negotiate 3 Gb/s, same problem on Old G5 Power Macs some HDDs could not/would not do the 3 Gb/s speed, only 6 which the G5 could not do or 1.5 Gb/s though supposedly both could do 3 Gb/s if just sit down & talk about what they had in common.

Jun 27, 2020 3:58 PM in response to jörg2010

Oh, almost forgot, I have a WD Blue 2 TB SSD in my Mid 2010 Mac Pro, not that it handshakes the same as yours does, but...

Intel ICH10 AHCI:

Vendor: Intel

Product: ICH10 AHCI

Link Speed: 3 Gigabit

Negotiated Link Speed: 3 Gigabit

Physical Interconnect: SATA

Description: AHCI Version 1.20 Supported

WDC WDS200T2B0A:

Capacity: 2 TB (2,000,398,934,016 bytes)

Model: WDC WDS200T2B0A             

Revision: X61190WD

Serial Number: 192281800218

Native Command Queuing: Yes

Queue Depth: 32

Removable Media: No

Detachable Drive: No

BSD Name: disk0

Medium Type: Solid State

TRIM Support: No

Bay Name: Bay 1

Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)

S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified

Jun 30, 2020 4:40 AM in response to BDAqua

Finally I found out about the SMC Reset, that initiated new negotiations between HDD and Controller. The result:

NVidia MCP79 AHCI:

Hersteller:	NVidia
  Produkt:	MCP79 AHCI
  Link-Geschwindigkeit:	3 Gigabit
  Ausgehandelte Link-Geschwindigkeit:	3 Gigabit
  Physischer Verbindungstyp:	SATA
  Beschreibung:	AHCI Version 1.20 Supported

TOSHIBA HDWD110:

Kapazität:	1 TB (1.000.204.886.016 Byte)
  Modell:	TOSHIBA HDWD110                         
  Version:	MS2OA8R0

Read/write and start sequence is much quicker now. And with a new HDD and the upgrade from 4 to 12 GB Ram and with the help found here (THANK YOU, BDAqua!!) it feels like having a new Mac. :)

Hard disk slow – what' wrong?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.