You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

bent metal case due to heat

I have a 2017 MacBook Pro, 13 inch display. I have just discovered that - probably due to heat - the lower case is bent and instead of being supported by the rubber feet, it lays on the desk with the case. This causes a little but annoying wobbling when typing.

When the notebook is switched off it cools down, and the bent is less noticeable, yet there is some. Despite using it continuously in the last three years, I didn't notice this issue before. Any idea how to fix this? Thanks.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 24, 2020 4:07 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2020 7:58 AM

s.rosati wrote:

I have a 2017 MacBook Pro, 13 inch display. I have just discovered that - probably due to heat - the lower case is bent and instead of being supported by the rubber feet, it lays on the desk with the case. This causes a little but annoying wobbling when typing.
When the notebook is switched off it cools down, and the bent is less noticeable, yet there is some. Despite using it continuously in the last three years, I didn't notice this issue before. Any idea how to fix this? Thanks.

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

or call AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 24, 2020 7:58 AM in response to s.rosati

s.rosati wrote:

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

or call AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

Jun 24, 2020 11:10 PM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks for precious feedback. My case is not as bent as the ones in these pics.

I was not aware of any battery swelling, I am have been using Apple laptops for nearly 20 years and never had any issues with batteries, including the 2010 MacBook Pro 17" and 2012 MacBook Air that I am still using.

I am quite surprised that after 3 years of use the battery can develop such a serious issue, and I'll get in touch with a service center to have it checked, and eventually fixed.

Jun 25, 2020 2:06 AM in response to ALSURVIVOR

The bend actually is not noticeable, if not for the wobbling. At first sight the case still looks in its original shape.

As I was not aware of the battery swelling, I thought that heating might have changed the shape a little bit, although I couldn't explain why I didn't notice this before (maybe the processor was running hotter?)

Anyway the idea of the battery swelling makes sense, and I guess the battery has started developing this issue right now.

bent metal case due to heat

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.