You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4th gen routing optical to Apple TV 3

Hi Folks,

I upgraded to the 4th gen Apple Tv. Given this does not have a optical out and my DAC doesnt have HDMI, i kept the Apple Tv 3.

I use the Apple TV 3's optical out.

In my Apple Tv 4 audio settings i choose Apple Tv 3 and using airplay I route the sound to the Apple Tv 3 which uses optical to my DAC. So it looks like this Apple Tv 4 -> Audio Out -> Apple Tv 3 -> Optical Out -> Receiver -> Speakers.

This set up works great with 1 glitch. Every time the Apple Tv 4 goes to sleep and then wakes up it changes the audio out setting to Apple Tv 4(hdmi) from Apple Tv 3 (airplay). Is there anyway i can persist this setting ?

The only options i see I have is:

1. Dont let the Apple TV 4 sleep
  2. Buy a HDMI extractor

Is there anything else i can do ? It would be great for Apple to give us the option to choose and persist audio settings.

Posted on Jun 24, 2020 7:04 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2020 8:24 AM

Possibly you already looked into this, but I’ll mention it as an option if your setup allows for it.

Apple TV → TV → receiver will works as well, where your TV will do the passthrough of audio.

The TV → receiver connection can be optical, if both these devices support that.

If that doesn’t fit your setup, then I would advise the HDMI Audio Extractor as a relatively cheap alternative. And a modern AV receiver as the better/best solution.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 24, 2020 8:24 AM in response to sidatta

Possibly you already looked into this, but I’ll mention it as an option if your setup allows for it.

Apple TV → TV → receiver will works as well, where your TV will do the passthrough of audio.

The TV → receiver connection can be optical, if both these devices support that.

If that doesn’t fit your setup, then I would advise the HDMI Audio Extractor as a relatively cheap alternative. And a modern AV receiver as the better/best solution.

Apple TV 4th gen routing optical to Apple TV 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.