You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How does the time machine icon appear on HDMcIntosh drive in a Mac

Ask to look at an elderly friend's Mac because of trouble with Time Machine. Much to my surprise he had two drives with Time Machine icon - an external, but also his main Mac drive??? I got the external reset and reinitiated as Time Machine, leaving the main drive alone. Now there is a difficulty with Time Machine over a "Untitled" (file?, drive?) on this main drive.

I suspect that he originally designated his main drive as his Time Machine. I hesitate to try to delete or change too much on his main drive in that it might be wiped out? I also, suspect, however that the Time Machine is actually continuing to back up his main drive in the main drive.

Any suggestions would be most helpful.

Posted on Jun 24, 2020 11:28 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2020 12:17 PM

No, it shouldn't wipe anything... Sys Prefs>Time Machine>Select Disk... if the Internal is listed there, highlight that drive & click the Remove button.

These are drives used as to where to put the TM backup, not what drives will be backed up.

Similar questions

5 replies

How does the time machine icon appear on HDMcIntosh drive in a Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.