You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The installer information on the recovery server is damaged

Last I had done a factory reset on my MacBook Air 2017 model and while I was installing Mac OS High Sierra the installation didn’t complete, I don’t know why and how. After that when I start my MacBook it shows a folder with question mark on it and won’t start, so I googled around and did the cmd + option + R key and it brought me to the internet recovery after which I landed on a page called macOS Utilities and form there through disk Utility I erased my drive to instal a fresh copy of OS X through internet recovery but when I try to install it says “the information on the recovery server is damaged “ I tried like 15 to 20 times through internet recovery it’s still doesn’t work and gives me the same “ the information on the recovery server is damaged”. I made a bootable usb with transmac software in windows PC, since I had no access to other MacBook, bootable usb with macOS Sierra dmg file And l hold down the option key while powering on the MacBook it doesn’t show or give me the boot options from usb it directly takes me to internet recovery and after that the same process. It says “the information on the recovery server is damaged” no matter how much I try. Please help as I m stuck, what can I do to dole this problem and install the OS on my MacBook, previously it’s was running on macOS Sierra till this happened, please help, thank u

Posted on Jun 24, 2020 6:40 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2020 11:34 PM

As I say WiFi needs to be turned off, it will reset the date back to today.

If you buy a cable it should work, but you never know.

Can you not get access to another mac that you know can run High Sierra and download

the Install High Sierra.app and make a bootable USB installer which you can then use

to install on your MacBook Air.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 25, 2020 11:34 PM in response to birendra163

As I say WiFi needs to be turned off, it will reset the date back to today.

If you buy a cable it should work, but you never know.

Can you not get access to another mac that you know can run High Sierra and download

the Install High Sierra.app and make a bootable USB installer which you can then use

to install on your MacBook Air.

Jun 24, 2020 6:50 PM in response to birendra163

Hello Burenda,

If you get a corrupted message...

Naw, not damaged, it's just that you have an old copy already in Applications, there are 2 cures...

Disconnect from the Internet & set the Date back to 2014, then you can run the Install MacsOS High Sierra App in Applications, so expired Certificates are not expired.

Or... trash the Install MacsOS High Sierra.app in Applications then a new copy more recent version can be downloaded.

Jun 24, 2020 9:48 PM in response to BDAqua

I tried changing the date with the WiFi or network off but when I do that through terminal it gives me an error, bad command but then again when I turn on the WiFi or network it accepts the same command and the date changes, and then when I try to install the OS Sierra it gives me a different error message “cer_tile_untrusted”

command I use to change date is -

date m/date/time/year

when I first switch on the MacBook Air there is nothing on the screen except a folder with a question mark and so when I reboot the MacBook holding down any of the combination keys like option + R or cmd + option + R it takes me to the internet recovery and after waiting for like 40 minutes to 1 hour when the download is complete I get a language chose option so when I proceed it takes me to OS Utility where I try and reinstall a new copy of OS from the utility menu it takes me to the OS Sierra page, when I click continue it verifies, after verifying and then bam comes the message “the installer information on the recovery server is damaged”

Jun 25, 2020 10:56 PM in response to BDAqua

I tried but it’s not working, the date changed on the offline mode, but then again to install it needs to go online and so again the message is prompted “cert_title_untrusted” and when I change back the date to the present it gives a different message “the installer on the recovery server is damaged”, I m really confused as to what to do

The installer information on the recovery server is damaged

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.