You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto is no longer supported. how do i upgrade?

i photo is not supported. How do i upgrade?

MacBook Air

Posted on Jun 26, 2020 8:40 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2020 8:49 AM

Here's some info on how you can upgrade from iPhoto to Photos

Updating from iPhoto to Photos for macOS – Apple Support

9 replies

Jun 26, 2020 11:36 PM in response to 2020news

iPhoto was discontinued 5 years ago. It is no longer developed or sold. It was replaced by the more powerful (and free) Photos.app that comes with the OS. You can migrate to that app very simply:

Hold down the option (or alt) key and launch Photos. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library' and point at your iPhoto Library. It will do the rest.

If you prefer not to use Photos there are several 3rd party apps that you can use. Which to choose depends on the kind of photographer you are and your budget.

Jun 27, 2020 12:29 PM in response to Yer_Man

Sorry for my mistake but English is not my first language and I make a few mistakes but I was trying to say that you could access your photos from iCloud backup and transfer them to photos. You will need to use your Apple ID to access iCloud if you haven’t signed in. And yes iPhoto does have iCloud

Jun 27, 2020 2:27 PM in response to rs09

Don't mean to argue with you my friend, but it is important to try and correct erroneous information.

but I was trying to say that you could access your photos from iCloud backup and transfer them to photos.

This is incorrect. iPhoto has no facility for making an "iCloud backup". iPhoto had no ability to store files on iCloud. There are no images there to 'transfer to Photos.' All of this ability comes only with Photos.app.

And yes iPhoto does have iCloud

And no, it does not. I wonder if you are confusing iPhoto, which was discontinued 5 years ago, with Photos the app that replaced it. Some of what you say might be possible with Photos. None with iPhoto.

Jul 7, 2020 5:53 AM in response to rs09

Nothing like an out-of-context screenshot to demonstrate... well what does it demonstrate really? This refers to features like photo stream and shared albums. Here's the real question: How many images does iPhoto store on iCloud? A round number will do. Oh, I know a round number: Zero.

What you're suggesting will not work. If it does, demonstrate it for us. If you can't then stop adding confusion, it's not helpful to others seeking assistance.

iphoto is no longer supported. how do i upgrade?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.