You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV to 4k Apple TV

Hey everyone thinking about upgrading tv and Apple TV to 4k. My question is will my content update to 4k automatically or will I have to repurchase everything in 4k? Thank you.

Apple TV HD, tvOS 13

Posted on Jun 26, 2020 1:49 PM

4 replies

Jun 26, 2020 2:09 PM in response to kode144

For content in the iTunes Store that is available in 4K, you should be able to access that 4K version if you bought the HD version or better. The 4K access is not available for SD purchases. The 4K access is not available for HD purchases from a reciprocal service. Downloaded copies of movies from the iTunes Store will be in HD, not 4K. 4K is streaming-only.

Basically, in the iTunes Store, the HD and 4K version are the same item for purchase, and you don’t have to re-purchase titles (you can’t even).

About 4K, HDR, and Dolby Vision on your Apple TV 4K - Apple Support

Find and watch movies with 4K, HDR, Dolby Vision, or Dolby Atmos - Apple Support

If I buy an HD movie on Apple TV/iTunes will it be upgraded to 4K? - Apple Support Community

Apple TV to 4k Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.