You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When backing up iMessage or WhatsApp in iCloud are deleted messages saved

Background:

I use iMessage and WhatsApp for work and I have them both "backed up" on iCloud.

Question:

If I inadvertently delete one or more of my messages (either iMessage or WhatsApp) are they saved in the backup on my iCloud account?

iPhone XS

Posted on Jun 27, 2020 9:08 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2020 9:46 AM

If I understand what you are doing, if you aren't syncing Messages with iCloud, and you backed you your phone last night, if you delete a message from today, the message won't be in the backup.

There isn't a way to assure you can keep all messages, including deleted ones. There isn't a Trash like Mail has for messages where you can go to recover deleted messages that aren't part of a backup.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 27, 2020 9:46 AM in response to jonathanfromaurora

If I understand what you are doing, if you aren't syncing Messages with iCloud, and you backed you your phone last night, if you delete a message from today, the message won't be in the backup.

There isn't a way to assure you can keep all messages, including deleted ones. There isn't a Trash like Mail has for messages where you can go to recover deleted messages that aren't part of a backup.

Jun 27, 2020 9:38 AM in response to Eric Root

Eric

I want to make sure that I understand, so I'm going to give you a specific use case.

I'm texting back and forth with a client, I accidentally delete his/her reply. I recharge my phone later that night. If I understand what you are saying I will not have the message that was accidentally deleted in the back up. Am I understanding you correctly?

My need is to finding the deleted message in iCloud. Is there a setup that enables my need to keep all messages (including deleted)?

When backing up iMessage or WhatsApp in iCloud are deleted messages saved

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.