You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Laptop screen not working when an external monitor connected

I have a MacBook Pro 16 running Catalina 10.15.5 and I got a weird behaviour all works pretty well if I don't connect an external monitor, but once, I connect an external monitor (with a connector VGA/USB-C), screen on my laptop gets as it is shown in the picture. Any idea or someone had a similar issue? I don't think that it is an issue with the connector because screen that it gets messed is the one on my laptop and the external one gets the proper input.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jul 1, 2020 1:44 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2020 2:24 PM

Not sure what caused it (last update?) BUT going to settings > display and setting up displays as mirrors and setup them again as they were before seems that solve the issue. So weird... anyway, thanks Luis for trying, and leaving my solution here, if someone has the same issue in a future.

7 replies

Jul 1, 2020 7:44 AM in response to pataquer

That means that the OS is internally processing the screens correctly, and the issue is just in displaying.

I don't suppose you have a different adapter available, or a different display?

I also have a 16" MBP, and connect to external display almost permanently (doing it now), but via HDMI.

I am not sure if there is something in the adapter. I may try hooking up a VGA display, but cannot test until later today or tomorrow.

My guess is on something weird in the adapter, but it's just that, a guess.

If you have access to a different adapter/display, it may help narrowing it down.

Laptop screen not working when an external monitor connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.