You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages and image resolution

I have images that are 2550px x 3300px (8.5 x 11" at 300dpi) that I'm inserting into a Pages document of 8.11, so the images will end up slightly smaller. (I'm not getting them from the Photos app as I know that saving them to that lowers the resolution). I'm on a 2015 MacBookAir.

When I insert the images into Pages, they show at about half the size of when I insert them into Powerpoint (I think Keynote too) and about 1/3 smaller than when I insert them into Word. I'm not using text boxes, these are just how they show when inserted.

To make them fit my layout, I have to pull the handles and make them larger.

There's no apparent way to check the image resolution once the images are inserted, so I want to make sure that Pages is not changing it, as if it is, the images are going to come out pixelated after I make them bigger. This is for a print project.

Thanks for any help.

(for Topic, I picked the closest thing to my topic that was on the list, which was creating books for bookstore, but that's not what I'm doing--I'm not making an ebook).

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 2, 2020 3:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2020 2:27 PM

It is not what you see when visualizing the PDF, but the internals of that PDF that a professional print shop may expect differently than what you would get with Pages export (or print) to PDF. If Word is using Apple's PDF library, it may not gain you much either, depending on the printer's expected PDF type (e.g. PDF/X3), font embedding, color model, etc.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 3, 2020 2:27 PM in response to victoria102

It is not what you see when visualizing the PDF, but the internals of that PDF that a professional print shop may expect differently than what you would get with Pages export (or print) to PDF. If Word is using Apple's PDF library, it may not gain you much either, depending on the printer's expected PDF type (e.g. PDF/X3), font embedding, color model, etc.

Jul 3, 2020 5:13 AM in response to victoria102

Ensure that you are using the Original Size button in the Arrange panel for your image, and after you alter it, visit the Image tab, and drag the file icon from there onto your Desktop. Open it with Preview, and using the inspector, look at its DPI and dimensions. It should be the same as the image you dropped on Pages.

If you are thinking about sending content produced in Pages to a Professional printer, you might reconsider, as the PDF generated from Pages will give the printer fits. I would check into their specific submission requirements before spending too much time in Pages.

Jul 3, 2020 2:17 PM in response to VikingOSX

Cool! I didn't know about the Arrange Panel. It does say Original Size. Yesterday I checked the file size and as each image was about 500kb I could see they were likely not reduced.

The PDF is showing OK in Preview on the print-on-demand site I uploaded it to. Good to know there could be problems, as I will also be uploading it elsewhere. If I run into issues, maybe I could export the document to Word then to PDF.

Thank you!

Pages and image resolution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.