You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music is visible in directory but not in library?

I run iTunes for Windows10 on my PC. Simply stated I have loads of music that shows in the right directory. When I attempt to open/play the selection FROM that location, I get nothing. ALSO, that particular music isn't seen in iTunes. I've clicked on "Include in Library" many times, no result.

All help greatly appreciated.

Semper Fi

Posted on Jul 2, 2020 3:37 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2020 8:02 AM

RichW1 wrote:

No, it doesn't

So currently, you have not yet added the music to your iTunes Library? Presumably also, the music is not in the Automatically Add to iTunes folder? I personally do not use that folder, but I've always assumed that any song put into that folder will indeed be automatically added.

So if the music is in the Windows Music folder (which is perfectly acceptable), you now need to add the music to iTunes Library. This is achieved by using (in iTunes):

• to add one song, click on File/Add Song to Library
    • to add a folder (and sub-folders), click on File/Add Folder to Library. Be aware that if a sub-folder contains songs that have already been added to your library, they will be added a second time, so you will have duplicate entry for the songs concerned

I'm not sure where you see "include in library" and the Open/Play options you see in the Windows File Manager will only play the song in iTunes if you have selected iTunes to be the default music player in Windows Settings.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 8, 2020 8:02 AM in response to RichW1

RichW1 wrote:

No, it doesn't

So currently, you have not yet added the music to your iTunes Library? Presumably also, the music is not in the Automatically Add to iTunes folder? I personally do not use that folder, but I've always assumed that any song put into that folder will indeed be automatically added.

So if the music is in the Windows Music folder (which is perfectly acceptable), you now need to add the music to iTunes Library. This is achieved by using (in iTunes):

• to add one song, click on File/Add Song to Library
    • to add a folder (and sub-folders), click on File/Add Folder to Library. Be aware that if a sub-folder contains songs that have already been added to your library, they will be added a second time, so you will have duplicate entry for the songs concerned

I'm not sure where you see "include in library" and the Open/Play options you see in the Windows File Manager will only play the song in iTunes if you have selected iTunes to be the default music player in Windows Settings.

Music is visible in directory but not in library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.