You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to recover the password for an email that isn't connected to my apple ID.

I want to find or change the password to one of my email addresses. It's an @icloud.com address, but it is not attached to my Apple ID. It is the email that my "mail" app uses. I only have access to it in the mail app. I'm afraid that I'll lose everything if I log out.

Thanks in advance, and I'd be happy to answer any questions if that would be helpful.

Posted on Jul 4, 2020 9:05 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2020 1:43 PM

I think I understand why I was confused. When I enter the email on my laptop and click on "forgot your password" it asks me to enter my phone number and sends directions to my phone. The thing is that because i'm signed in with another account, no more instructions pop up, at least that's why I think they don't. This is where I got stuck and got frustrated.

Once I was on the "passwords and accounts" page in settings, I went under "accounts" and pressed "add account." I pressed "icloud" and tried signing in with the email that i'm trying to get the password for. I wasn't able to, but there's another "forgot Apple ID" button so I pressed that. I was able to change it there because I confirmed my phone number and my iphone passcode. After that I was able to change my password.

I'm guessing that this might be different for others depending on how many accounts they're signed into but i'm not sure.

I'm sorry for my rude replies. I felt that trying to reset my password with the normal method was a dead end. It sort of was but I should have been more patient, so my apologies. I tried to make this as detailed as I could.

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 6, 2020 1:43 PM in response to Luckbucket

I think I understand why I was confused. When I enter the email on my laptop and click on "forgot your password" it asks me to enter my phone number and sends directions to my phone. The thing is that because i'm signed in with another account, no more instructions pop up, at least that's why I think they don't. This is where I got stuck and got frustrated.

Once I was on the "passwords and accounts" page in settings, I went under "accounts" and pressed "add account." I pressed "icloud" and tried signing in with the email that i'm trying to get the password for. I wasn't able to, but there's another "forgot Apple ID" button so I pressed that. I was able to change it there because I confirmed my phone number and my iphone passcode. After that I was able to change my password.

I'm guessing that this might be different for others depending on how many accounts they're signed into but i'm not sure.

I'm sorry for my rude replies. I felt that trying to reset my password with the normal method was a dead end. It sort of was but I should have been more patient, so my apologies. I tried to make this as detailed as I could.

Jul 6, 2020 12:53 PM in response to Luckbucket

Luckbucket wrote:

Again, the email is not associated with my Apple ID or my account in any way. My Apple ID uses a different email. I did go through the whole "forget your password?" routine and it did not yield any results. I'm sorry, I think you may have misread my post, this was not very helpful.

Regardless,... the steps to reset it are the same. Apple does not have separate processes for an iCloud account.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201487

Otherwise contact Support - https://support.apple.com/contact

Jul 6, 2020 1:02 PM in response to Luckbucket

This is a user to user support forum. We do not work for Apple. We are just other Apple device users like you are. If you couldn’t resolve it going through the password recovery instructions that Apple provides, you will have to contact Apple Support, actual Apple employees, like LACAllen told you.

There is nothing more that anyone here can do to help you.

Jul 6, 2020 1:03 PM in response to Luckbucket

Luckbucket wrote:

I'm contacting support. Telling someone to try something they've already done is not helpful and can be very frustrating for the person you're trying to help.

You did not admit contacting support. How are we to know you have done that?

As is someone asking for a different solution than the only available ones.

2 people have tried to help and you have pushed back on both.

I want to recover the password for an email that isn't connected to my apple ID.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.