You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Duplicate Volumes in Disk Utility

I've just noticed some duplicate volumes in Disk Utility - it seems that my entire hard drive is replicated. I ran First Aid on the main volume and got a message to say it couldn't be verified completely (see attached). I also have a new volume called Update.

I think this has come about because I created a new volume and installed a beta version of Big Sur on it, but then found I couldn't run my most used apps without installing them again, so deleted the volume.

Here is my question: is there a way to get rid of these items so that I can go back to a nice, tidy hard drive? What harm might be done by deleting the Update volume?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 5, 2020 6:46 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2020 6:47 PM

Hey Brightone2,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

We hear that you're having issues with duplicate volumes in Disk Utility. We'd like to help out.

Try the steps here to delete the duplicates:

Add, delete, or erase APFS volumes in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Cheers!

Similar questions

2 replies

Duplicate Volumes in Disk Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.