You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS update for old iMAC

I have a older iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011) will I be able to update my OS from High Sierra to a more current OS some time in the future?

Posted on Jul 5, 2020 9:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2020 9:52 AM

Another thing to be aware of: if you buy a new Mac it will have Catalina installed and none of your current 32 bit apps will work. That can trigger an expensive software upgrade if you can't find alternatives for those apps, i.e. like LibreOffice for MS Office.

To see which of your current apps won't work with Catalina and beyond download and run the free GO64 app.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 5, 2020 9:52 AM in response to IMAC-support

Another thing to be aware of: if you buy a new Mac it will have Catalina installed and none of your current 32 bit apps will work. That can trigger an expensive software upgrade if you can't find alternatives for those apps, i.e. like LibreOffice for MS Office.

To see which of your current apps won't work with Catalina and beyond download and run the free GO64 app.

OS update for old iMAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.