You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie audio disappearing

Hello!

I have several mp4 files with clear audio and when I upload them to iMovie to create to a video, there is no audio on playback. I've tried restarting both my computer, the app, as well as creating a new 'movie'. No luck. I also deleted the app and reinstalled. Google didn't have any answers and neither did my tech friends... so help?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 9, 2020 1:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2020 4:50 PM

Not all Mp4 works with iMovie. It needs to be Mp4/AAC. AAC stands for Advanced Audio Coding.

Try converting your troublesome clips to H.264, Mp4/AAC with the free download, Handbrake. Do that even if the codec already is indicated to be Mp4/AAC. Re-rendering often cures the issue.

You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

A simple way to do it is to open Handbrake and do a File/Open Source. Navigate to your video and choose it as the source from the resulting screen. Then do File/Start Encoding. Wait a couple of minutes for the conversion to complete. Then save and import the converted clip into iMovie. Now see if you get sound.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 9, 2020 4:50 PM in response to jesmccowan

Not all Mp4 works with iMovie. It needs to be Mp4/AAC. AAC stands for Advanced Audio Coding.

Try converting your troublesome clips to H.264, Mp4/AAC with the free download, Handbrake. Do that even if the codec already is indicated to be Mp4/AAC. Re-rendering often cures the issue.

You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

A simple way to do it is to open Handbrake and do a File/Open Source. Navigate to your video and choose it as the source from the resulting screen. Then do File/Start Encoding. Wait a couple of minutes for the conversion to complete. Then save and import the converted clip into iMovie. Now see if you get sound.

-- Rich

iMovie audio disappearing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.