You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil Won’t Pair

My apple pencil won’t connect to my iPad. I’ve charged it for an hour and that didn’t work and i’ve also restarted the ipad and turned bluetooth off and on. Is there something else i can do?

iPad Air 3 Wi-Fi

Posted on Jul 9, 2020 3:57 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2020 4:28 PM

This appears to be a bug affecting some users. Another contributor, ApplesAreUs, reports having found a workaround solution.

“... can confirm the issue is iOS 13.5. The only way to pair your 1st Gen Apple Pencil to your iPad Air 3 is to quickly connect and then disconnect power to your iPad then plug the Pencil into the Lighting port. This will fix the issue and will pair successfully. It’s like the quick jab of power to the iPad ‘wakes’ some part of the software into action. I can confirm I’ve tried this on 2 different iPad Airs with same result.”

This discussion details the workaround:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251382715

Many others confirm efficacy of the workaround - although some have commented that the Pencil must also be fully charged to pair.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 9, 2020 4:28 PM in response to Gab_Garcia

This appears to be a bug affecting some users. Another contributor, ApplesAreUs, reports having found a workaround solution.

“... can confirm the issue is iOS 13.5. The only way to pair your 1st Gen Apple Pencil to your iPad Air 3 is to quickly connect and then disconnect power to your iPad then plug the Pencil into the Lighting port. This will fix the issue and will pair successfully. It’s like the quick jab of power to the iPad ‘wakes’ some part of the software into action. I can confirm I’ve tried this on 2 different iPad Airs with same result.”

This discussion details the workaround:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251382715

Many others confirm efficacy of the workaround - although some have commented that the Pencil must also be fully charged to pair.

Apple Pencil Won’t Pair

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.