You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air '17 will not boot up normally/won't install Mac OS

I bought a new macbook and was clearing my old macbook air 2017 completely.

I went into recovery mode and erased everything on the disk drives. Now the macbook air starts up with black screen and blinking folder with a question mark.

I've looked up several remedies but none of them have worked.

I tried to reinstall mac os from the recovery menu several times but it says "an error occurred while preparing the installation" and I've also tried re-erasing the drives but it says "an error has occurred. could not be erased"

It's also not letting me install my time machine backup i put on my new macbook

Does anyone else have this problem or know a solution? Thanks!!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 9, 2020 3:55 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2020 10:53 PM

So when you boot, hold option/alt. Wait a minute and you will see “Internet Recovery”. Click on it and press the arrow, let it boot. Make sure you have a stable WiFi or else it isn’t going to work. And then the rest is like normal recovery mode.

Or you can try Option-Command-R/Shift-Option-Command-R for Internet Recovery, depends on which you choose.

More on those startup key commands here, (they will REALLY be useful!)

Have you tried making a bootable HS installer? Then you can boot off it via Opt key and install.

With the new Macs, (since 2016), Apple solders in the solid state drives (yeah, less storage but faster, they should still use larger HDDs), and RAM soldered. Meaning the drive may be too small to restore from a backup.

An alternative solution:

What about making the bootable installer that I mentioned earlier and then using Migration Assistant while setting it up to transfer data.

I have always bought a FireWire to clone a hard drive (and choosing what to clone) but I think you’d need a thunderbolt dongle and another dongle for that one.. and then the Wire itself.

Edit: Apple does make a Firewire to Thunderbolt dongle!

All you will need is to download CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) 4, get a FireWire 800 (I have seen some for $4), and the dongle and then clone the drive so you won’t have to worry about re installing the OS.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 23, 2020 10:53 PM in response to rainie97

So when you boot, hold option/alt. Wait a minute and you will see “Internet Recovery”. Click on it and press the arrow, let it boot. Make sure you have a stable WiFi or else it isn’t going to work. And then the rest is like normal recovery mode.

Or you can try Option-Command-R/Shift-Option-Command-R for Internet Recovery, depends on which you choose.

More on those startup key commands here, (they will REALLY be useful!)

Have you tried making a bootable HS installer? Then you can boot off it via Opt key and install.

With the new Macs, (since 2016), Apple solders in the solid state drives (yeah, less storage but faster, they should still use larger HDDs), and RAM soldered. Meaning the drive may be too small to restore from a backup.

An alternative solution:

What about making the bootable installer that I mentioned earlier and then using Migration Assistant while setting it up to transfer data.

I have always bought a FireWire to clone a hard drive (and choosing what to clone) but I think you’d need a thunderbolt dongle and another dongle for that one.. and then the Wire itself.

Edit: Apple does make a Firewire to Thunderbolt dongle!

All you will need is to download CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) 4, get a FireWire 800 (I have seen some for $4), and the dongle and then clone the drive so you won’t have to worry about re installing the OS.

MacBook Air '17 will not boot up normally/won't install Mac OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.