You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos Display photos in dropbox

Does Photos support either Dropbox or Onedrive,

I have 2 Onedrive accounts and a dropbox account between them they probably have some 400Gbs of pictures.

My Macbook only has a 256GB drive so i cannot just import them to the local drive.

Does photos allow me to view them, comparatively windows has this feature by creating a small thumbnail of the picture but still indexing its size and location etc...

does mac support any of these things and if not would anyone recommend a program that does?

Posted on Jul 10, 2020 4:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2020 9:57 AM

The syncing with One Drive or DropBox will damage the Photos Library or break the links to the photos, if you are using a referenced library. Apple says so in this document: Updating from iPhoto to Photos for macOS – Apple Support

" If you store your Photos library in a location that's part of a cloud service (for example, Dropbox, Box, or Google Drive), your library might be damaged by the syncing process. As a result, you could lose photos.

To see your photos on all your devices, you can use iCloud Photo Library. To back up your library, you can use Time Machine."

I cannot recommend any program, that will do that, sorry.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 13, 2020 9:57 AM in response to David1_1

The syncing with One Drive or DropBox will damage the Photos Library or break the links to the photos, if you are using a referenced library. Apple says so in this document: Updating from iPhoto to Photos for macOS – Apple Support

" If you store your Photos library in a location that's part of a cloud service (for example, Dropbox, Box, or Google Drive), your library might be damaged by the syncing process. As a result, you could lose photos.

To see your photos on all your devices, you can use iCloud Photo Library. To back up your library, you can use Time Machine."

I cannot recommend any program, that will do that, sorry.

Jul 10, 2020 10:09 AM in response to David1_1

No. You would be best served by getting a portable, bus-powered, external SSD to house and run your library from. MacSales.com offers a number of very reliable drives that include very good warranties and excellent customer support.

This is what I use:

It's not a pretty as one with its own case but is less expensive, smaller and easily stored in a case pocket and can be easily switched out for another bare SSD for other uses, i.e. a clone of the boot drive for backup. Just some food for thought.

Photos Display photos in dropbox

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.