You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to enable Ethernet/LAN indicator on the menu bar ?

I have connected the LAN cable to the MacBook Pro using an adapter and I'm able to surf the internet.

But there is one issue why macOS is not showing the ethernet indicator on the menu bar.

Question :

Is it hidden or it doesn't exist at all ? If it doesn't exist, then, how to enable the ethernet indicator using third-party apps ?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 10, 2020 6:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2020 9:38 AM

I agree with what you told.

But still I wanted to have the indication when something is connected.

Why I will always open System Preferences to check whether LAN is connected or not ?

7 replies

Jul 10, 2020 8:43 AM in response to anishb123

I have never seen an Ethernet indicator for the Menubar.

The signal strength will always be 100 percent. The cable will remain connected until you physically remove it. ¿What would you like such an indicator to tell you?

Your Mac makes the connection to the Internet using The TopMost, Working interface in System preferences > Network. If you 'set service order' to Ethernet Topmost, Ethernet will be used when available.

How to enable Ethernet/LAN indicator on the menu bar ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.