You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my screen shows a file folder with a question mark?

My MacBook is showing a blank screen with a folder in the center with a ? mark on it. ?????

Posted on Jul 10, 2020 12:24 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2020 12:33 PM

Hi BradLJ,

The folder with a question mark screen means that your Mac doesn't know where to start up from. Try these steps:

1. Power on your Mac while holding down the Option key.
  2. You should see one or more drives appear onscreen. Look for a drive named Macintosh HD (or whatever you named your startup disk).
  3. Use the arrow keys to select that drive, then hold down the Control key while you hit Enter/Return. This tells your Mac that this should be the default startup volume.
2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 10, 2020 12:33 PM in response to BradLJ

Hi BradLJ,

The folder with a question mark screen means that your Mac doesn't know where to start up from. Try these steps:

1. Power on your Mac while holding down the Option key.
  2. You should see one or more drives appear onscreen. Look for a drive named Macintosh HD (or whatever you named your startup disk).
  3. Use the arrow keys to select that drive, then hold down the Control key while you hit Enter/Return. This tells your Mac that this should be the default startup volume.

my screen shows a file folder with a question mark?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.