You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adapters Needed for MacBook Pro - for an Older Drive

Where can I find an adapter for my USB-C latop to my FireWire 800 drive?

I need to connect to my old drive to retrieve some work files

Thank You

Susan

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 10, 2020 6:08 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2020 4:51 AM

Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C use the same plug and TB3 is fully compatible with USB-C. TB3 can transmit data faster than USB-C.

If you have a MacBook Pro, your ports are actually TB3. The only Mac notebooks with a USB-C ports (not compatible with TB3) were the MacBook retina models (not Pro or Air) made 2015-2017 – those had just one USB-C port.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 11, 2020 4:51 AM in response to szwerman

Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C use the same plug and TB3 is fully compatible with USB-C. TB3 can transmit data faster than USB-C.

If you have a MacBook Pro, your ports are actually TB3. The only Mac notebooks with a USB-C ports (not compatible with TB3) were the MacBook retina models (not Pro or Air) made 2015-2017 – those had just one USB-C port.

Adapters Needed for MacBook Pro - for an Older Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.